How can I create USMT 4 archive files so that I can use the User State Migration feature on TEM OS Deployment Dashboard?
As of December 2009, Microsoft does not provide a standalone installer for User State Migration Tool 4 (USMT 4). Thus USMT 4 tool can be obtained only by installing "Windows Automated Installation Kit(AIK) for Windows 7"
Resolving the problem
As of December 2009, Microsoft does not provide a standalone installer for User State Migration Tool 4 (USMT 4). Thus USMT 4 tool can be obtained only by installing "Windows Automated Installation Kit(AIK) for Windows 7". In order to use User State Migration feature on TEM OS Deployment product, two archive files for USMT 4 must be created manually through above installation. Moreover, they must be uploaded to TEM Server through OS Deployment Dashboard. Below are the instructions. Please note that Microsoft does provide a standalone installer for USMT 3, and you do not have to go through the same process for that.
- Download "Windows Automated Installation Kit(AIK) for Windows 7" from below page:
- Decide which machine to install Windows AIK on. See above download page for system requirements.
- Burn the ISO into a DVD. Alternatively, with tool like "Virtual CloneDrive", you can mount the ISO on the machine that you prefer to install above Windows AIK.
- Finish the installation process. This step may take a while.
- Once the installation finishes, download BFArchive-188.8.131.52.exe from software.bigfix.com: http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/util/BFArchive-184.108.40.206.exe
- Default installation folder for Windows AIK is at "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT". Run the following two commands to create archive files. Please use the exact names as below.
BFArchive-220.127.116.11.exe -a "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\x86" usmt4x86.arch
BFArchive-18.104.22.168.exe -a "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\amd64" usmt4x64.arch
- Copy usmtx64.arch and usmtx86.arch to a TEM console machine. You can then upload the above two files to TEM server through OS Deployment dashboard (Under "Upload USMT" section). Please note that you have to go through this step. Otherwise USMT feature may not work as expected.
More support for:
IBM BigFix family
Software version: All Versions
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1506254
Modified date: 18 August 2014