Why would some of my TEM Clients get stuck in the "Pending Message" state and not reboot the computer?
It is normal to get the "Pending Message" action status after all lines of the action script have completed until the computer is restarted. The Client should update the action status to the final fixed/failed action state shortly afterwards.
Resolving the problem
If you have deployed an action with the Post-Action set to "Restart computer after action completes" and selected the Users constraint "Run independently of user presence, and display the user interface to the selected users" it is normal to get the "Pending Message" action status after all lines of the action script have completed until the computer is restarted. You will receive the "Pending Message" status whether a user is logged in or not. Once the computer restarts, the TEM Client should update the action status to the final fixed/failed action state shortly afterwards.
If the TEM Client is waiting in the "Pending Message" state and not rebooting the computer it may be caused by TEM Client UI failures. By default, the TEM Client will not reboot the computer if it detects a user presence but is unable to display a message to the user. If the TEM Client UI is failing it will log an error message in the TEM Client log with the message "User interface process unable to launch".
The default behavior for the TEM Client when it detects failed user interface sessions can be changed by using Task #684 in the BES Support site, "BES Client Setting: Hold Mode For Missing Client UI". Set the Hold Mode setting to "none" to allow the TEM Client to ignore the failures and proceed with the reboot.
If the TEM Client is still unable to perform the post-action reboot even after setting the Hold Mode setting to "none" it may be caused by a known bug where the Hold Mode setting will not take effect. This bug occurs when all of the following conditions are true:
- The TEM Client is version 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199
- You have deployed a Multiple Action Group or Baseline and included the Post-Action option to restart the computer.
- The Advanced Deployment option for using Efficient MIME is enabled. See this Knowledge Base Article for more information. Or click on the link in the Related Information section below.
- There are no users logged into the computer that can successfully receive TEM Client messages.
- The TEM Client User Interface is failing with the following message, or a similar one, in the TEM Client log file: User interface process unable to launch (22.1245) for user ''. Retrying every 30 seconds
You can work around this bug by using 1 or more of the following work arounds:
- Deploy the Post-Action restart as a part of a single-action instead of a Multiple Action Group or Baseline.
- Log into the computer and respond to the restart message and the restart will continue.
- Kill the failing user sessions. This can be done using the rwinsta command.
- If a Baseline is being used, add an additional action to the end of the Baseline with an action script that runs the restart action command. No message will be displayed to the user if this is done. Example action script: "restart 5"
- Disable using Efficient Mime .
The TEM Client behavior described in this Knowledge Base article is scheduled to be fixed in a future release of the product.