What is the BigFix Client Helper?
BigFix Client Helper Introduction for 7.x versions.
Resolving the problem
BigFix Client Helper Introduction
The BigFix Client Helper is a small service utility developed by the IBM development team to keep Clients running and do basic diagnostic and repair operations. The utility is designed to help in situations where the Client service is being stopped because of errors or operators stopping the program.
The BigFix Client Helper is managed through Fixlets in the BES Support site. There are Fixlets to install, uninstall and restart the BigFix Client Helper. Currently, the BigFix Client Helper only runs on Windows systems. In addition in the Console the Deployment Health Checks dashboard will incorporate information from installed BigFix Client Helpers.The BigFix Client Helper performs the following functions:
- Check once every 24 hours to see if the Client is running.
If it is running, do nothing.
- If the Client is not running, try once to restart it.
Wait 30 seconds to ensure it starts up and stays running.
- If the Client does not restart, or restarts but does not stay running, try removing the __BESData folder and restarting.
Wait 30 seconds to ensure it continues to run.
The BigFix Client Helper records its status in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\BESClientHelper". The BES Client Helper Service analysis reports the information in this key and the data is also used in the Console in the Deployment Health Check Dashboard. The recorded information includes:
- The number of times the BigFix Client Helper found a problem and successfully restarted the agent.
- The suspected cause of why the Client need to be restarted and the last time that problem occurred.
- The number of times the BigFix Client Helper found a problem and failed to restart the agent and the last time a failure occured.
IBM Fixlet Content used to manage the Client Helper can be found here:
- Tasks "Install BES Client Helper Service" and "Uninstall BES Client Helper Service" in the BES Support Site (IDs = 591, 592)
- Fixlet "Restart BES Client Helper Service" in the BES Support Site ( ID = 593 )
- Analysis "BES Client Helper Service" in the BES Support Site ( ID = 596 )
- Deployment Health Check Dashboard ( Check Name = BES Client Helper Status )
Note: You have to activate the analysis "BES Client Helper Service" to get the Deployment Health Check working correctly, otherwise it always passes.
Note: The "Restart BES Client Helper Service" Fixlet can be used by the BES Client to restart the Helper Service (so they help each other!)
Note: The BES Client Helper is designed to be used as a troubleshooting tool and if you have questions or concerns, please contact IBM Support.
Translate this page: