How do I upgrade a IEM Server component if I am using a remote database?
The upgrade Fixlet in the Support site will not upgrade a remote server correctly. Run the full IEM server installer to perform the upgrade.
Resolving the problem
Remote database setups may encounter problems during upgrade and require resetting database connection settings after manually running the IEM Server installer. The upgrade Fixlet in the Support site will not upgrade a Server correctly and you should run the full Server installer to perform the upgrade. The upgrade process may reset remote database configurations on the server, the Troubleshooting steps section will help you find any configurations that are incorrect after the upgrade.
Pre-Upgrade Check List:
- Back up your Database.
- Document your authentication method as SQL or NT.
- If using NT Authentication document the NT Domain account used for TEM Server Services.
- If using SQL Authentication document the SQL account used for SQL Authentication Registry values.
- Document (screenshot) ODBC connections; bes_bfenterprise, bes_EnterpriseServer, enterprise_setup, and LocalBESReportingServer.
- It is critical that an NT user performing the upgrade (the user that will run the setup.exe) has appropriate Database permissions. Please verify DB Owner or SA rights for this account.
- Carefully review this documentation.
- If upgrading to 8.0 with NT Authentication change the Root Service login to the same NT account used for the GatherDB and FillDB services. You will also need to restart this service for the change to take effect. Continue to step #2 if using SQL Authentication.
- Upgrade the Server Installers through the Support Fixlets.
- Run the Server installer as a user that has DBO permissions to the database server. The installer should recognize that the Server is at an older version and ask if you would like to upgrade to the latest version.
- If you installed the Server as a 6.0 or later remote database installation the installer should complete successfully. If not, please follow the troubleshooting steps below.
- Check the system DSN for bes_bfenterprise. It should be pointing to the database server and set to use the BFEnterprise database as the default database. Double check if it is set to use NT or SQL Authentication correctly. The FillDB and GatherDB services will fail to connect to the database if this DSN is misconfigured.
- Check the system DSN for LocalBESReportingServer. It should be pointing to the remote database server and set to use the BESReporting database as the default database. Double check if it is set to use NT or SQL Authentication correctly. You will receive an error message prior to the Web Reports login screen if this is misconfigured.
- If you are using NT Authentication, double check that the FillDB, GatherDB and Web Reports services (and Root for 8.0) are configured to run as your service account with permission to the database.
- If you are using SQL Authentication, double check that the username and password registry keys are set correctly.
- If your Console gives an error message about the database being the wrong version, you may need to run the database upgrade scripts manually to upgrade the database. By running the IEM/TEM Administration Tool (BESAdmin.exe), you will need the site admin password, should update the remote database tables. Note: The besadmin.exe should be run automatically, if your account has the DBO/SA privileges to the remote database.
- The Server should be correctly upgraded at this point.
Translate this page: