How do I create a Windows computer image with a BigFix Client pre-installed on it?
Steps on how to include the BigFix Client on a computer image that will be deployed multiple times.
Resolving the problem
To include the BigFix Client on a computer image that will be deployed multiple times:
- Install the BigFix Client on the computer that will be imaged. After installation, the client will "register" with the BigFix Server and will write certain registry keys and files to the hard drive after registration. These will need to be removed.
- Stop the client in the Windows services dialog.
- Remove the registry values "RegCount", "ReportSequenceNumber", and "ComputerID" (if they exist) at,
- Delete the "__BESData" folder in the BigFix Client installation folder
(default is "C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client"). The client is now ready to be imaged.
- Delete the KeyStorage folder in the BigFix Client installation folder.
Note: If the computer is restarted or if the client is started for any reason, the client will re-register and you will need to perform the steps above again.
Note: The BigFix Server has built-in conflict detection and resolution so if for any reason you fail to perform the above steps, the server will notice that there are multiple BigFix clients with the same ComputerID and force the client to re-register and everything will work normally. However, we do recommend you perform the steps above to avoid having a grayed-out client (the first imaged computer) in the computer list in the BigFix Console.
Note: On 64-bit systems the registry path will be:
and the default directory path will be:
" C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client"
More support for:
IBM Endpoint Manager for Lifecycle Management
Software version: Version Independent
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Software edition: Edition Independent
Reference #: 1505996
Modified date: 14 December 2017