Problems experienced when attempting to start the Unix/Linux BigFix Client after installation?
There are some common troubleshooting techniques you can perform to help determine what the cause of the problem.
When the BESService service will not start these are some common troubleshooting techniques you can perform to help determine what the cause of the problem is.
- If client logs have been generated, check the /var/opt/BESClient/__BESData/__Global/Logs to see what error message might have been logged.
- If the message is 'Actionsite Masthead is not found' then check /etc/opt/BESClient to see if the file actionsite.afxm is located there. If the actionsite.afxm can not be located no log files will be created. This message might also be caused by attempting to start BESClient from /opt/BESClient/bin/BESClient instead of the startup script.
Try starting the BESClient using the following command to invoke it through the startup script.
service besclient start
Ensure you are running the startup script and not just the executable itself.
The startup scripts are located at /etc/init.d/BESClient-####, /etc/init.d/BESClient, /sbin/init.d/BESClient, /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd.
- On some systems depending on what the system logging is set to you might find a more detailed error message in dmesg or syslog.
- If you get a message stating some thing along the lines of "missing libstc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 library file" check and make sure this is a supported version of Linux/Unix. Also you might either have an older version of the lib or the correct lib files are not installed at all.
- On attempting to start the client and you receive a message similar to the following:
$> systemctl status besclient besclient.service - SYSV: Starts and stops the IBM BigFix Client Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/besclient) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS ago Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator (8) Process: 16234 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/besclient start (code=1/FAILURE)
It is most likely due to a missing .Xauthority file in the /root directory.
The startup script requires this file to be in the /root directory:
.... /bin/echo -n $"Starting IBM BigFix: $prog: " export XAUTHORITY=/root/.Xauthority export DISPLAY=:0 export BESClientActionMastheadPath=/etc/opt/BESClient/actionsite.afxm ...