How do I add new ODBC data source to connect to a database for the BigFix Console?
In order to connect to a BigFix server using your BigFix Console, you will need to be able to make a connection using ODBC to the BigFix Server database.
Resolving the problem
BigFix version 8.2+
Starting with BigFix version 8.2 the BigFix console no longer connects to the database through an ODBC datasource configuration. The BigFix console now connects directly to the BigFix server (BES Root Server Service) and the server brokers the connection between the console and the database.
BigFix versions prior to 8.1
For x86 Systems
- Go to Start > Programs > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC).
- Verify there are no bes_... entries in the USER DSN tab and Click on the System DSN tab
- Click the Add button.
- Choose "SQL Server" from driver list.
- A wizard will now pop up that will allow you to create an ODBC data source for SQL Native Client, type the Name as "bes_databasename". the default is typically bes_bfenterprise
Note: the name must start with "bes_" otherwise the BigFix Console will not find the ODBC reference to connect.
- Leave the Description on this same page blank, but type in the hostname or ip address of the BigFix SQL Database Server you wish to connect to in the Server field, then click Next.
- For SQL authentication choose the option With SQL Native Client Authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user. as your authentication method.
For NT authentication choose With Windows NT authentication using the network login ID.
- Enter your username and password that you will use to connect to the BigFix Server database in the Login ID and Password fields, then click Next.
- Click the Change the default database to: box and select "BFEnterprise" (no quotes) in the field, then click Next.
- Click Finish.
You will now be able to use the BigFix Console to connect to the BigFix Server using the ODBC data source you just created. The next time you open the BigFix Console, you will see the ODBC data source name in the Database field.
For x64 Systems
The BigFix Console uses 32-bit DSN's to determine how to connect with the database. On a 64-bit system you must configure the 32-bit DSNs rather than the 64-bit DSN's that can be reached via Administrative Tools.
In order to configure the 32-bit DSN's in the default setup, Run the following command:
Note: On some systems the Windows directory may be named "WINNT" rather than "Windows"
More support for:
IBM BigFix family
Software version: All Versions
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1505864
Modified date: 01 December 2015
Translate this page: