Why do my BigFix clients report "<not reported>" for every action I take?
The article discusses the various causes for BigFix clients that report "<not reported>" for every action targeted at them.
Resolving the problem
The BigFix Clients will report "<not reported>" for actions for many reasons. Listed below are some of the most common reasons:
- BigFix Clients are off or not connected to the network - The BigFix Clients obviously cannot report if the computer is off or if the BigFix Client cannot connect to the BigFix Server or BigFix Relays. It is easy to see the last report time of the BigFix Client in the BigFix Console to see if the computer has reported recently.
- BigFix Clients did not receive the UDP notification message - Whenever there is a new action, new Fixlets available, or new downloads available, the BigFix Server and BigFix Relays send a UDP notification message out on the BigFix port number (by default it is 52311) to the last known BigFix Client IP. If this message is not received, the BigFix Client will not know there is a new action to report on. By default, the BigFix Clients will automatically gather once per day to see if there are any new actions or Fixlets available. At this time, they will notice any actions sent out. You can test if the BigFix Clients can receive UDP messages by right-clicking on the computer in the BigFix Console and sending a refresh. If the BigFix Client receives the UDP message, it will shortly update its last report time (within a minute or two usually). If it doesn't update that time, it indicates it didn't receive the UDP message.
See the following document for information on enabling command polling when UDP is blocked: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21505846
Note: The BigFix Clients will report in normally on their heartbeat interval so make sure that the BigFix Client was responding to the refresh and wasn't reporting on its normal schedule. The BigFix Clients will not receive their UDP messages if there is a firewall blocking UDP packets on the BigFix port (52311 by default), if there is a NAT translator between the BigFix Server and the BigFix Clients (or BigFix Relays and BigFix Clients), if the computers are running personal firewalls like Zone Alarm, Black Ice, or the XP firewall, or if the BigFix Clients have switched IP addresses since the last time it registered (by default the BigFix Client registers every 6 hours).
Note: A simple test from the BigFix Console can help determine if UDP messages are being blocked. On the Computers tab in the BigFix Console select a computer and then right mouse click to select the option "Send Refresh". If UDP messages are able to get to the BigFix Client you will see an entry similar to "ForceRefresh command received" in the client's logfile.
See the following reference for information on where the BigFix Client log files are kept: Location of the BigFix Client Logs
- BigFix Clients are unable to use efficient MIME while efficient MIME is being used for actions.
Beginning with BigFix/BigFix 7.0 actions can be created using an efficient MIME format which is incompatible with pre-BigFix/BigFix 7.0 BigFix Clients. To allow pre-BigFix/BigFix 7.0 BigFix Clients to operate in a BigFix 7.0 environment, set the Advanced Options to not use efficient MIME.
To do this, go to the "Advanced Options" tab in the BigFix Admin utility, select the option usePre70ClientCompatibleMIME, select the Edit button, and set the value to true. Then click OK and then OK to exit BigFixAdmin
Once this is set, any new actions will not use the efficient MIME and will be compatible with pre-BigFix/BigFix 7.0 BigFix Clients, and clients should begin to report on these new actions.
Note: prior to BigFix/BigFix 7.1 the value must be "true" as opposed to "True" or "TRUE", etc. (it is case sensitive). Beginning in BigFix/BigFix 7.1 it is no longer case sensitive.
If none of these suggestions fix your problem, please contact your support technician to troubleshoot this issue further, and include the following information:
- Version of BigFix Server
- Version of BigFix Console
- Current setting of Efficient MIME
- BigFix Client log files (see the following for further information: Location of the BigFix Client Logs
- On Windows systems, if possible, BigFix Client Diagnostics files. These can be obtained by running the task TROUBLESHOOTING: Run BES Client Diagnostics (KB ID #353 in the BES Support site) or by running the diagnostics tool directly. For more information, see:
BigFix Client Diagnostics..
Note: The BigFix Client Diagnostics utility will gather the logfiles automatically.