SETTING UP ANOTHER INFORMIX INSTANCE ON THE SAME MACHINE
How do you set up another Informix Instance on the same machine
Steps to setup another instance (same or different version) on the same physical machine
1. Write down the dbservername (INFORMIXSERVER), INFORMIXDIR, PATH,ONCONFIG, servernum,port number,rootpath, mirror path,message path, and any other relevant information that you want to have unique.
2. If you are installing a new version: create the INFORMIXDIR for the
new instance. Make sure that is a different one from the one you have
for the first instance so you don't install the files over your existing
ones. If you are using the same version of informix and want to use that
same INFORMIXDIR you can do that. In this case, you don't have to make
sure INFORMIXDIR is different or copy any new files over (skip step 3).
3. cd to that directory and install the product (ensure you are
logged in as root. Then follow directions for that version as to who you should
be logged in as- informix or root).
run installserver files as appropriate
4. Make a setup file with new INFORMIXDIR, PATH, INFORMIXSERVER,
ONCONFIG, and path to the sqlhosts file and source the setup file. Make
sure env shows the right variables.
5. Edit your /etc/services file to add the entry for your new dbserver
TCP/IP connection. The service name and the port number must be unique
in the file. I would suggest putting this next to your other informix
entry to keep them together.
6. Add an entry in your same sqlhosts (you only need one) for the new
database server, including the new service name you just added.
7. Copy over your onconfig.std to the path you have your new ONCONFIG
environment variable pointed to. If you copy over your onconfig from the
first instance you run the risk of losing any newly added ONCONFIG
parameters to the newer version.
8. Customize your onconfig so that the new rootpath, mirrorpath, message
path, servernum, dbservername, dbserveraliases, and any other relevant
information is DIFFERENT from your first onconfig. THE ROOTPATH IS VERY
IMPORTANT SO THAT YOU DON"T OVERWRITE THE FIRST INSTANCE'S DATA!!! Also
keep in mind the servernum is used to calculate a relevant location in
shared memory. The value you choose is not important except that it must
be unique for each database server on your local host computer. Make
sure this is different from your first instance or you will get an error
message upon initialization.
9. Touch any cooked files you need to have for the rootdbs and make sure
they have the right permissions (informix informix 660).
10. Do another env to double check your environment; make sure
INFORMIXSERVER is pointing to the new server and ONCONFIG is the path to
the new onconfig file.
11. When ready do an oninit -ivy! This will initialize the disk (not
just the memory) for the first time and will wipe out any existing data.
This is why you must make sure everything is pointing to the new
instance so the right root chunk is initialized. Any other time after
the first time, you bring up the instance with oninit and any other
flags BUT the -i option!
12. Now you can recreate the database or data if wanted by using
dbimport or any other migration utility.
More support for:
Software version: 11.1, 11.5, 11.7, 12.1
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1504585
Modified date: 01 October 2013