I have the following environment: A Windows 2003 Server SP2 for the Active Directory + a Windows 2003 Server SP2 for the Distributed File System.
I am unable to access data in shared folders on a DFS-Server (Distributed File System) with Statistics
The DFS is built up like this:
default target: \\servername\DFS_sharename
target 1: - folder_1 \\servername\folder_1
target 2: - folder_2 \\servername\folder_2
When logging on to Windows, the default target is mapped automatically with drive letter T:\.
Now after starting Statistics I go to -> File -> Open -> Data. I can see folder_1 and folder_2 under drive T:\. But opening folders doesn't work. So one cannot access files and subfolders that are stored here. What's going on?
Resolving the problem
This problem has been reported to SPSS Development - Workaround Available. However, the issue is due to a third-party defect in Sun Java 1.6 JRE and SPSS is not certified with Distributed File Systems at this time.
The problem is that the java JFileChooser dialog does not recognize the high level folder on a DFS mapped drive. It occurs with Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7.
Please find below some possible workarounds:
1) Remove SP2 and run as Vista SP1.
2) Instead of mapping a high level drive on the DFS, map lower level folders.
3) To open files, double click them on Windows Explorer.
4) When using UNC-paths \\servername\folder_1 or a new mapped network drive under a different drive letter, folder_1 and its subfolders can be openned and SAV-files can be openned via the File -> Open-Menu.
5) Another workaround would be to open the DFS-drive T:\ in Windows Explorer and and go to the folder containing your SAV-file. This can then be opened in Statistics with a double click.
Please subscribe to APAR PM42043
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.