Collecting Data: Struts Portlet Framework for WebSphere Portal
Collecting troubleshooting data for Struts Portlet Framework with IBM® WebSphere® Portal expedites time to resolution by enabling IBM Support to provide informed problem analysis.
If you have already contacted IBM Support and must collect data to determine the nature of a problem in WebSphere Portal, review the information below for the available methods of data collection. Otherwise, review Collecting Data: Read first for WebSphere Portal.
Collecting Struts Portlet Framework information
- What portlet API is being used in your Struts application. (JSR168, JSR286 or IBM Legacy.).
- If the application will not run because it has dependencies that we cannot duplicate locally, provide a reduced application that demonstrates the problem. Include Java source code if possible.
1. Enable Struts Portlet Framework trace logging by setting the following traceString in accordance with the instructions documented in the topic "Trace Logging" in the WebSphere Portal Information Center:
For further information regarding logging and tracing in the portal, refer to the topic "Logging and Tracing" in the WebSphere Portal Information Center.
Trace files to include:
Be certain to indicate the relevant details (date and time, test case, user ID, etc) to IBM Support in your communications, and use specific entries from the log to illustrate the problem reported if possible.
Note: Ideally trace files should contain only the trace output for the application in question, although this is not always possible.
2. Confirm environmental information where you encountered the problem:
-WebSphere Application Server version
-WebSphere Portal version (standalone? test environment?),
-WebSphere Application Server Developer and Rational Application Developer versions if applicable,
-Any fixes, fixpacks applied (send event.history for both WebSphere Application Server and WebSphere Portal)
3. Collect and submit logs and configuration data
- Reproduce the problem.
- Run the following script from <wp_profile>/PortalServer/bin to collect the data:
4. Send the files to IBM Support by using the instructions outlined in Exchanging information with IBM Technical Support for problem determination.
Note: When sending in logs for review, include any relevant screenshots, timestamps, userIds, etc. in order to expedite analysis of the issue.
More support for:
Software version: 7.0, 8.0, 8.5
Operating system(s): AIX, IBM i, Linux, Solaris, Windows, z/OS
Software edition: Enable, Express, Extend, Hypervisor Edition, Server
Reference #: 1468819
Modified date: 12 November 2014
Translate this page: