z/VSE V4.3 became generally available 26 November 2010. With z/VSE V4.3, the installation and runtime support for CICS/VSE V2.3 changed significantly. This document explains some of the changes that you will want to be aware of when upgrading to z/VSE 4.3. IBM recommends that you migrate your CICS/VSE V2.3 applications to run on CICS TS for VSE/ESA on z/VSE V4.2 before upgrading to z/VSE V4.3 or V5.1.
If you are currently running CICS/VSE V2.3 with DL/I, you will not be able to do so on z/VSE V4.3. The highest supported z/VSE version and release when running both of these products is z/VSE V4.2.
z/VSE V4.3 also no longer provides product installation support for CICS/VSE V2.3. However, providing that DL/I is not required, IBM will not prohibit you from using CICS/VSE V2.3 with z/VSE V4.3. You will be able to install CICS/VSE V2.3 from an extended base tape supplied with a z/VSE V4.2 or earlier system. Alternatively, the CICS/VSE V2.3 sublibraries will remain in place if a Fast Service Upgrade (FSU) is used to upgrade to z/VSE 4.3. All other z/VSE V4.3 changes will be transparent.
IBM recommends that you migrate CICS/VSE V2.3 applications to run on CICS TS for VSE/ESA on z/VSE V4.2 before upgrading to z/VSE 4.3 or 5.1. If you want to run CICS/VSE V2.3 on z/VSE V4.3, ensure that both user and vendor applications still run successfully on CICS/VSE V2.3.
z/VSE-supplied support for a CICS coexistence environment is removed. However, you will still be able to run CICS/VSE V2.3 and CICS Transaction Server for VSE/ESA (CICS TS) V1.1.1 together on z/VSE V4.3.
IBM announced an end of support (EOS) date for CICS/VSE V2.3 of 31 October 2012. See CICS/VSE V2.3 End of Support announcement for more details.
Note: z/VSE V4.2 and z/VSE V4.3 will enable you to run RPG programs under CICS TS for VSE/ESA V1.1.1.
The following information is from the US Announcement Letter for IBM z/VSE V4.3 (ENUS210-313). Other country announcements are available on the IBM Offering Information page.
Enhancements planned for z/VSE V4.3 include:
- DOS/VS RPG II support for CICS Transaction Server for VSE/ESA™ (CICS TS):
- Allows RPG programs implemented for CICS/VSE V2.3 to run with CICS TS. Support is also available on z/VSE V4.2 with PTFs. See DOS/VS RPG II support for CICS TS for VSE/ESA V1.1.1 on z/VSE for more information.
Migration from CICS/VSE V2.3 to CICS Transaction Server for VSE/ESA on z/VSE V4.2:
- z/VSE V4.3 fulfills the statement of direction in Software Announcement 207-228, dated October 09, 2007. It will no longer offer CICS/VSE V2.3 as part of the z/VSE V4.3 package and will remove the CICS coexistence environment.
- Recent improvements, including BSM security enhancements in z/VSE V3, additional VSE tasks, and DOS/VS RPG II support for CICS TS in z/VSE V4.2, offer you the capability of migrating your CICS/VSE programs on z/VSE V4.2 prior to performing an upgrade to z/VSE V4.3 or z/VSE V5.1.
- Clients migrating to CICS TS might benefit from virtual storage constraint relief in CICS TS and in z/VSE V4.3.
DL/I VSE V1.12:
- DL/I VSE V1.12 is an optional product of z/VSE V4.3. This new DL/I release will provide constraint relief for the limited 24-bit virtual storage area. Moving various resources above the 16 MB line will also allow for keeping more data in storage which might result in faster access to DL/I data. DL/I VSE V1.12 is the only DL/I release that can be used with z/VSE V4.3. It replaces DL/I VSE V1.11 and DL/I DOS/VS V1.10.
CICS/VSE CICS VSE
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.