How do you perform a console trace on a Proventia appliance?
Important: When performing administration tasks via ssh or local console, configuration changes made to your IBM appliance by any user other than admin could degrade appliance performance. Installing or activating other services or applications may also impact appliance performance or security. IBM Infrastructure Security Support will not support configuration changes made using the root user account unless specifically directed by a support engineer or IBM documentation. The following DCF Technote content is supported. Any further changes made that are not included in this document will place your product into an unsupported state and IBM product support may require you to reimage your appliance to restore it to a supported state.
Recording the serial console output of a Proventia appliance can be a useful tool to identify noted error messages not normally recorded in the appliance's log files, such as boot failures, disk I/O errors, or intermittent appliance lockups. Follow the instructions below to perform a console trace from an appliance:
- Connect the provided serial console cable to the console port on the security appliance and the serial port on a computer.
- On the computer, open software that allows serial port access. A commonly used option for this is PuTTY®, which is a free Telnet/SSH client.
- Create a new serial connection. Use the following settings if using PuTTY. Use similar settings if using a different software.
Session > Logging
- Press Enter to establish a connection.
- Log into the appliance as the root user.
- Run the following command:
echo 8 7 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
Note: That command can be added to the end of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to be run automatically at boot.
- Allow the trace to run until the issue is reproduced and the necessary information is captured.
- Retrieve C:|putty.log file from computer and submit it to Technical Support for review.
If the above information does not resolve your issue, contact IBM Security Systems Customer Support.
|Security||Proventia Virtualized Network Security Platform||Not Applicable||Firmware||3.3, 4.1, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6|
|Security||Proventia Network Multi-Function Security||Not Applicable||Firmware||3.14, 3.15, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6|
|Security||Proventia Network Enterprise Scanner||Not Applicable||Firmware||1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3|