How to enable Chat Logging on the Sametime 8.5 server
How do you enable chat logging on a Lotus Sametime 8.5 Community server?
The Sametime Information Center topic Enabling chat logging contains the steps to enable chat logging in Lotus® Sametime® 8.5 Server. The steps below, while similar, also contain information for what to do if not using the Sametime System Console.
This procedure differs from earlier versions of Sametime. For instructions on enabling chat logging for previous versions of Sametime or for client side logging, see the related technote #1086729.
Step 1: Updating the sametime.ini and creating the chatlogging.ini
In Sametime 8.5, you can configure chat logging black box library names by using the sametime.ini file. This configuration is controlled by a new section called [ST_BB_NAMES], and the value that controls the chat logging black box is ST_CHAT_LOG.
Note: The StChatLogFile library (or libstchatlogfile.so on Linux and Solaris platforms, libstchatloggingfile.so on AIX) is a sample, a proof of concept, of how to implement a chat logging black box using the Sametime SDK. The StChatLogFile sample is not supported and is not recommended for use on deployment environments.
1. Use a text editor to edit the sametime.ini file, which is located in the Lotus Sametime Community Server installation directory (for example: C:\Program Files\lotus\domino).
NOTE: Use caution if you copy & paste the entries below; make sure you do not include unexpected or blank characters.
a. Set ST_CHAT_LOG to have a value of "File" in the sametime.ini file under the ST_BB_NAMES section.
(Note: You enter the word "File" as the value, not the actual file name).
To use StChatLog File .dll as the chat logging black box, set
For IBM i
To use stchatlogf.srvpgm as the chat logging blackbox, set
To use libstchatloggingfile.so as the chat logging black box, set
b. Create chatlogging.ini in the same directory as sametime.ini.
c. Move all the attributes from sametime.ini related to [ChatLogging] to chatlogging.ini. If the [ChatLogging]section does not exist, create it. For example:
CL_CHAT_START_DISCLAIMER_RICH_TEXT=<span style="color:#ff0000; font-size:11pt;font-family:Tahoma;"><b><i>Rich Text Disclaimer message.</i></b></span>
d. Make sure to add new folder CLData under the Domino data folder. By default, on Windows this is \Domino. If CLData folder is missing, then chat logging will fail. And if the Chatlogging setting is set to strict, then clients will not be able to send messages to each other if that folder does not exist.
- If you want to use BB_CL_LIBRARY_PATH to change the default location of where the chat logs are stored, then move the [Library] section from sametime.ini to the chatlogging.ini file. (If the [Library] section does not exist, create it.) Also, the directory you specify with BB_CL_LIBRARY_PATH, or the default CLData directory, must exist before you start the server after making this change. If the directory does not exist, then chat logging and chat services can fail. The directory or folder is not created by the system on startup.
- If using CL_CHAT_START_DISCLAIMER_RICH_TEXT for a rich text disclaimer message on an IBM i platform, the entry must be all on one continuous line to successfully post the rich text disclaimer on individual chats. Having the entry broken into multiple lines causes the disclaimer not to work; these instructions show multiple lines for that entry due to the formatting requirements for this documentation.
Step 2: Updating the stconfig.nsf database
There are two ways to enable chat logging, depending on your environment. If using the Sametime System Console (SSC), changes MUST be made through the SSC.
Using the Sametime System Console
If you have configured Sametime 8.5 using the Sametime System Console, perform these steps:
1. Log in to the Integrated Solutions Console.
2. Click Sametime System Console > Sametime Servers > Sametime Community Servers.
3. In the Sametime Community Servers list, click the deployment name of the server with the connectivity information that you want to change.
4. Click the Community Services tab.
5. In the Server Features section, under Enable chat logging, select one of the following choices:
6. Click OK
7. Restart the Lotus Sametime Community Server for settings to take effect.
Using a Notes client to access stconfig.nsf
If you have configured Sametime 8.5 without the Sametime System Console, perform these steps:
1. Stop the Sametime 8.5 server.
2. Use a Lotus Notes client to open the Sametime Configuration database (stconfig.nsf) on the Sametime server.
3. In the right hand pane, open the CommunityServices document by double-clicking on the date associated with the document.
4. Double-click on the CommunityServices document to put the document in edit mode.
5. For the "Chat Logging Flag" parameter, select either "relax" or "strict" for the chat logging mode.
"strict" indicates that chat should be disallowed if it is not possible to log chats for any reason.
(Note: Setting "strict" mode when Sametime runs on an IBM i platform can result in Sametime meetings becoming inoperable, namely stuck in a status of 'connecting'. As a workaround, use "relax" mode. For more information, refer to APAR LO61924 (SPR# KKOI8J8KBF) once it is made available on the web.)
6. Update the " Capture Service Type" parameter.
- If you selected "strict" as the chat logging mode, enter the value "0x1000" (e.g., Capture Service Type = 0x1000).
- If you selected "relax" mode, enter Capture Service Type = 0.
Note: If the Chat Logging service becomes unavailable for any reason when " Chat Logging Flag" is set to " strict" and " Capture Service Type" is set to " 0x1000" in the CommunityServices document, users will receive "Chat services unavailable" when attempting to chat. This is by design; the strict setting is being enforced.
7. Save and close the CommunityServices document.
8. Restart the Lotus Sametime Community Server for changes to take effect.
To find out more IBM Lotus Sametime chat logging and how to extend its features, and about the Chat logging SPI, see this article in the Sametime wiki: New features of IBM Lotus Sametime 8.x chat logging and how to extend its SDK.
More support for:
Lotus End of Support Products
Software version: 8.5, 8.5.1, 8.5.2
Operating system(s): AIX, IBM i, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1424677
Modified date: 03 April 2013
Translate this page: