Rational Quality Manager performance issues when running with Internet Explorer
This technote provides tips for resoving performance issues that can occur when using IBM Rational Quality Manager with Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE).
You work with Rational Quality Manager using IE and notice Rational Quality Manager appears to be slow. When you connect to the same Rational Quality Manager server from another supported browser, such as Firefox version 3, Rational Quality Manager seems to respond faster and the time to display pages is noticeably shorter.
Diagnosing the problem
The quick and simple solution is to use Firefox rather than IE while connecting to Rational Quality Manager. However, this is not always possible. Some Rational Quality Manager users are still required to connect from IE.
Resolving the problem
Refer to Rational Quality Manager wiki on jazz.net for tips to improve Microsoft Internet Explorer's performance for Rational Quality Manager.
Below is a summary of additional suggestions allowing to improve the performance of Rational Quality Manager 2.0.x with Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8:
- Run IE without add-ons.
Create a special Rational Quality Manager shortcut, with the command:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff https://<Rational Quality Manager server>:9443/jazz/web/console
and use only this shortcut to access Rational Quality Manager
- Improve general IE performance, as described on the page:
- Turn off the Phishing Filter
- Automatically checking for RSS feeds - turn this off
- Disable Cleartype in IE7
- Disabling the SSVHelper Class plugin. There are several reports that the SSVHelper Class plugin causes significant browsing delays. The SVVHelper Class appears to be a non-essential portion of the Java Plugin.
- Increase the number of connection IE7 will open simultaneously to the same web site. The default is two simultaneous connections, and by increasing this to the maximum number of sixteen, IE7 performance is greatly improved on web sites that load a large number of files per web page.
Rational Quality Manager Engineering have confirmed that the above changes will not cause any problems when using Rational Quality Manager. Please note that if you use multiple logins, you must login to each user ID and perform the tweaks for each ID, since IE settings are unique for each user.
- Avoid opening too many Rational Quality Manager tabs, or close some periodically, to save memory
- Restart IE periodically, to avoid further performance degradation, as per technote 1377924: Performance can degrade over time running on Internet Explorer 7.
- See also the related article from Microsoft's knowledge base:
A memory leak occurs in the Msctf.dll component when you use a WebBrowser control application in Windows XP, in Windows Server 2003, or in Windows Vista
A performance improvement for Rational Quality Manager with IE has been requested as an enhancement (RFE) with the reference: RATLC0137416
More support for:
Rational Quality Manager
Software version: 1.0, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 1.0.1, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 2.0, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 2.0.1
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Windows
Reference #: 1424338
Modified date: 2011-06-11