Under a specific combination of conditions, Tivoli Storage Manager HSM for Windows might erroneously delete migrated files on the TSM server during reconcile. IC65886 addresses an issue that can cause migrated files to be deleted after they have been renamed or their directories have been moved.
IC65886 can affect files after they have been renamed or moved, or their directories have been renamed or moved.
Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) HSM for Windows might erroneously delete migrated files on the TSM server. The deletion occurs when HSM for Windows reconcile detects files in migrated state that were renamed or moved, and then were recalled and re-migrated at least twice without a change of the file content. This problem is addressed by APAR IC65886.
REQUIRED CONDITIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM TO OCCUR
A migrated file is deleted on the TSM server when all of the following conditions are in effect:
- One of the affected versions of HSM for Windows listed below is used or has been used
- The following actions occur in the order listed:
1. The migrated file is either moved or renamed, or any part of the file's parent directory structure is moved or renamed. The new full path and file name must be higher than the original path and file name regarding the character sort order of the TSM server. For example, E:\newdir\file.txt is after E:\dir\file.txt
2. The file is recalled and re-migrated at least twice, without a change of the file content. Or, if the file content was changed, the file is migrated and recalled at least twice after the change.
3. Reconcile is executed while the file is in migrated state.
POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES OF THE PROBLEM
- The file is deleted on the TSM server and thus can no longer be recalled or retrieved. If no backup copy exists, then the file is lost.
- Tivoli Storage Manager HSM for Windows Version 18.104.22.168 - 22.214.171.124, inclusive
- Tivoli Storage Manager HSM for Windows Version 126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52, inclusive
Step 1. Stop the TSM HSM Monitor Service, which will stop any reconciliation jobs that are currently running. Disable the TSM HSM Monitor Service so that is cannot be restarted. This will prevent new reconciliation jobs from starting.
Step 2. If TSM is used for backups, make a record of the current management class backup copygroup settings. Then set the management class backup copygroup settings on the TSM server as follows:
Don't forget to activate the policy set after making these changes.
Step 3. Install the fix for this problem (see HOW TO OBTAIN A FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM below).
Step 4. Identify affected files, if any. Technote IC65886 Analysis Details provides guidelines for identifying and how to possibly recover affected files.
HOW TO OBTAIN A FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM
This problem is fixed in interim fix levels 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
Click on the platform name to get to the download directory for the platform and fix level.
WHO TO CALL IN CASE OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM
After reviewing this document, APAR IC65886 and the technote IC65886 Analysis Details , in case of additional questions, contact IBM technical support for further assistance. Be sure to say that you are calling about APAR IC65886.
IBM technical support will work with you to:
- Help you determine whether you are affected by this problem.
- Help you determine which objects, if any, might be affected.
- If possible, help you recover affected objects.