This document describes the FlexLM collector that is available as part of Rational ClearCase v7.0, v7.1 and Rational ClearQuest v7.0, v7.1 Add-on for IBM Support Assistant and IBM Support Assistant Lite for these products. This includes information on what data are gathered, as well as detailed walk through of the IBM Support Assistant Lite UI for this collector.
The Rational FlexLM collector is now available through IBM Support Assistant Workbench and IBM Support Assistant Lite for the following Rational products :
- Rational ClearCase v7.1
- Rational ClearCase v7.0
- Rational ClearQuest v7.1
- Rational ClearQuest v7.0
|Prerequisites / Installation|
|Details: FlexLM Collector|
This collectors is available as part of IBM Support Assistant Workbench and IBM Support Assistant Lite in the above listing of Rational products.
IBM Support Assistant
IBM Support Assistant (ISA) is a full serviceability workbench that can increases your capacity for self-help by making it easier to access support resources. This includes product information, tools and capability for automated data collection. For more information, see: Features and benefits of IBM Support Assistant.
- You'll need IBM Support Assistant Workbench v4.1.x or higher for this collector to be available.
- If you do not have ISA workbench available, you need an IBM ID and password to download ISA workbench. Register here if you do not already have one.
- ISA workbench is available for download here: ISA download page .
- Launch ISA workbench. Use the Update > Find New... > Product Add-on to select one of the products listed above.
- Once you have the product add-on installed, select Collect and Send Data to select and run the available data collectors.
IBM Support Assistant Lite
IBM Support Assistant Lite (ISA Lite) is the customized subset of the ISA workbench that provides only the automated data collection capability. If you do not have ISA workbench installed and need to provide information for our support team, you can use this to quickly gather information. For more information, see: Overview of IBM Support Assistant Lite
- You need an IBM ID and password to download ISA Lite. Register here if you do not already have one.
- You need Java JRE 1.4.2 or greater on your machine to run ISA Lite
Download & Launching ISA Lite:
- You can download ISA Lite here: ISA download page.
- Extract the .zip file in a folder.
- In the same folder, cd ISALite
- Linux/Unix: Additionally, you'll need to execute : chmod a+x *.sh
- If Java is available in your path , simply run: runISALite.bat or runISALite.sh
- If Java is not available on your path, you'll need to set JAVA_HOME first.
- Windows: set JAVA_HOME=<your full path to Java> This path should point to the bin directory in your Java installation, containing java.exe.
- Linux/Unix (in ksh): export JAVA_HOME=<your full path to Java>. This path should point to the bin directory in your Java installation, containing java
Details: FlexLM Collector
Use this data collector to gather information for initial assessment of FlexLM / Rational Common Licensing issues.
|Registry output of key = [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Flexlm License Manager], if key is available.|
|Registry output of key=[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rational Software\Licensing], if key is available.|
|Registry output of key=[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rational Software\Licensing], if key is available.|
|Lmutil_lmstat_out.txt||Output of <rational common dir>\lmutil.exe lmstat -a , if lmutil.exe is available.|
|File to indicate that <rational common dir>\lmutil.exe is not available.|
|File to indicate that <rational common dir> cannot be found. The common directory information is stored in the registry in keys (in search order) :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Flexlm License Manager\lmgrd]
|For FlexLM server. File to indicate that License manager log information is not found on this system.|
|/FlexLM/log||*.*||For FlexLM Server. All the contents in the SOFTWARE\Flexlm License Manager\LMGRD_LOG_FILE|
|/FlexLM/Licensing_8.0||*.*||Collects *.dat files indicated by registry keys:
|/FlexLM/Licensing_2.0||*.*||Collects *.dat files indicated by registry keys:
|/FlexLM/Licensing_1.0||*.*||Collects *.dat files indicated by registry keys:
Basic FlexLM information:
|/FlexLM||ENV_Information.txt||Environment information. Output of env.|
|(file)||File indicated by environment variable RATIONAL_LICENSE_FILE|
|(file)||File indicated by environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE|
|*.*||flexlm_host and/or license_host found in /var/adm/rational/clearcase/config|
|.*rc||.*rc files in user home|
|File denoting if lmutil is not found on the system .
Searching is done as follows:
1. Determine whether system is running lmgrd (ps -ef output)
2. If not found, from files in /etc/initd. that contains lmgrd, look for LICENSE_DIR and check for lmutil in each of the directory.
|Lmutil_lmstat_out.txt||Output of "lmutil lmstat -a"|
|/FlexLM/lmgrd||ps_ef_out.txt||Output of "ps -ef | grep lmgrd"|
|*.*||From files in /etc/init.d that contains string "lmgrd".
If file contains LICENSE_LOG, then the file specified by LICENSE_LOG is collected.
The collector will first inform you what it is going to collect. Click OK, to proceed
When the collector is completed, it will request feedback about ISA or ISA Lite. Select Yes, to provide feedback. Select No to continue.
You'll also be provided with data upload options. This will allow you to send the collected data to IBM or another location via FTP or HTTPS.
IMPORTANT: To upload information to IBM, you'll need to have a PMR number. This is obtained when you work with our support team. If you do not have a PMR number, but do have support contract, you can leverage the Software Support page to open a service request and included the collected data with the service request.
IBM Service Request Page: https://www.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/
The upload options are:
- Send the Logs to IBM using secure transfer (HTTPS). You'll need an PMR number to transfer the data to IBM. This sends the collected data to IBM Support team through the HTTPS protocol.
- FTP the Logs to IBM Support (not encrypted). You'll need an PMR number to transfer the data to IBM. This sends the collected data to IBM Support team through the FTP protocol. This is a less secure option.
- FTP the Logs to a Different Location (not encrypted) This allows you to send the collected data to another location via FTP. You'll need to provide the target FTP location and appropriate authentication to access it.
- Do Not FTP the Logs. Do nothing.
Click OK to continue. If you choose options other than 4 above, you will need to fill in additional information required to complete the upload.
When the collector completes, the .zip file is created at the location specified in Output File name. You can use any unzip tool to extract the files to examine the content of collected data.