What is the correct procedure to upgrade IBM Rational DOORS?
Some of this information is not publicly documented.
The IBM Rational DOORS Information Center contains installation and upgrade instructions.
- This link takes you to the instructions specific to DOORS 9.1 and 9.2. The Rational DOORS Install Guide includes upgrade instructions. Use this link if you need to upgrade to DOORS 9.1 or 9.2.
- This link takes you to the instructions for upgrading to DOORS 9.4, regardless of which version you are upgrading from.
- This link takes you to the instructions for upgrading to DOORS 9.5, regardless of which version you are upgrading from.
Note: If you have multiple DOORS instances on the same DOORS server system, upgrading the DOORS software will upgrade all the DOORS instances that share the same DOORS installation. For example, if you have two DOORS 9.3 instances (DOORS DB Server 9.3 00001 and DOORS DB Server 9.3 00002), and you upgrade from 9.3 to 9.5, both 9.3 instances will be upgraded to 9.5 when the 9.3 software is replaced with the 9.5 software.
However, if you also have DOORS instances for a different major version, for example version 8.3, these instances will not be affected by the DOORS 9.x upgrade.
Before you upgrade
Please read the installation and upgrade instructions, as well as the release notes (also known as readmes), for all the components you plan to upgrade before you begin the upgrade process.
Here are some general DOORS upgrade recommendations that complement the instructions in the documentation.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you can successfully log into your Rational DOORS database as Administrator before you start.
Here are some general DOORS upgrade recommendations that complement the instructions in the documentation:
- If needed, upgrade the License Server (and licenses) first. Verify that the License Server is configured correctly and successfully serving licenses. The License Server is backwards compatible, so you can use a newer license server with an older Rational DOORS version.
- Before starting the upgrade, stop Rational DOORS and back up your data.
- When you install the new server, point to the location where your current database is located.
When you start the new client for the first time after the new software is installed, you will need to log in as Administrator (using the same Administrator password that was valid before the upgrade) to migrate the database to the new version.
- After the upgrade is complete, test any customizations as needed.
Note: Data migration is only needed during major version upgrades, for example from 8.3 to 9.5;
it is not required for a minor version upgrade such as from 9.2 to 9.5
Testing your upgrade
Please do a dry run of the upgrade, migration on a test system first. The test system should be set up similar to the system you will be upgrading, and should contain all your customizations and enough data from your production system that you can do a thorough test after the upgrade.
More reasons to do a dry run of the upgrade, migration on a test system first:
- You get to become familiar with the upgrade and data migration process in a safe environment.
- You can test your DXL customizations in advance, and address any upgrade-related issues before the production system is affected.
- You can determine whether any data-specific upgrade issues will be impacting your environment in advance. If any are found, you will be able to choose and test work-arounds before productivity is impacted.
- You can see how long it takes to upgrade the test system and use that to schedule adequate downtime for the production system upgrade.
- Upgrade-related problems can be addressed in a safe environment before the production system is brought down.
Administrator password fails after successful migration
Migration fails with "Invalid username or password"
DOORS database failed to initialize during migration
Version to version data migration
Migrating directly from IBM Rational DOORS 7 to DOORS 9