PARMGEN Configuration for IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE and other Tivoli Management Services (TMS) dependent products
This is PARMGEN configuration support for configuring the IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE and other Tivoli Management Services (TMS) dependent products on z/OS.
The products listed below, along with their dependent configurable components, are supported to create a brand new runtime environment (RTE) using the new PARMGEN mode in lieu of using the current ICAT z/OS Configuration Tool. The following versions are listed as the minimum* versions that PARMGEN mode supports for these products:
Enablement Support: (Date Last Updated: 20141105)
A. Download the latest GA PARMGEN PTFs and let’s get started!
FMID / PTF#
Interim Feature (IF) Release Date
|OA43392||HKCI310/UA71054||October 25, 2013 (4Q13A)|
|OA44054||HKCI310/UA71761||December 31, 2013 (4Q13B)|
|OA43859||HKCI310/UA72225||February 28, 2014 (1Q14A)|
|OA45024||HKCI310/UA73689||*GA September 5, 2014* (3Q14)|
|OA46184||HKCI310/UAnnnnn||*ETA GA March 2015* (1Q15)|
B. Download any cross-product dependency application PTFs:(Date Last Updated: 20131101)
FMID / PTF#
Interim Feature (IF) Release Date
|PM97298 PM97296 PM97294 PM99043||HKDB520/UK97830 HKDB520/UK98105 HKDB520/UK98279 HKDB520/UK98703||*GA* October 28, 2013* Important: These HKDB520 PTFs must be applied prior to performing any ICAT or PARMGEN configuration work, if you upgrade the SMP/E environment to OMXE for DB2 PE/PM V5.2.0 (HKDB520 FMID). For upgrade considerations, refer to the "Version requirements" and "Basic upgrade requirements" sections of the common Upgrade Guide.|
|PM96412||HKDB511/UK98702 HKDB510/UK98701 HKDB420/UK98700||*GA* October 28, 2013* Important: These HKDBvvv PTFs must be applied prior to performing any PARMGEN configuration work if you apply the PARMGEN 4Q13A (HKCI310 PTF UA71054) IF.|
Once the latest PARMGEN HKCI310 configuration PTFs are applied, execute the PARMGEN code from your &gbl_target_hilev. TKANCUS OMEGAMON/ITM SMP/E target library as shown in the example invocation below:
ISRTSO ISPF Command Shell
Enter TSO or Workstation commands below:
===> EXEC 'IBM.ITM63053.TKANCUS'
(where &gbl_target_hilev = IBM. ITM63053 in this example)
C. OMEGAMON XE shared publications in IBM Knowledge Center: ( Date Last Updated: 20141112)
Deployment considerations: OMEGAMON XE shared publications URL reference
Deployment considerations: Helpful reference URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAUBV/welcome then navigate to the "OMEGAMON XE shared publications" link where these common publications may be found:. The OMEGAMON XE shared documentation and the OMEGAMON XE product documentation have moved from the Information Center to the new IBM® Knowledge Center. The most current documentation is found in the IBM® Knowledge Center
>> Tivoli OMEGAMON XE Family of Products welcome page
>> OMEGAMON XE shared documentation
>> Version 6.3.0 Fix Pack 2 (or higher releases)
*** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT *** IMPORTANT ***
The PARMGEN configuration infrastructure improvements delivered in each Interim Feature apply to all the products. Please always refer to the OMEGAMON XE shared documentation at its latest version in the IBM® Knowledge Center, regardless of the product version or product family (OMEGAMON, ITCAM, NetView, System Automation, Tivoli Advanced Storage, Tivoli Decision Support, and other z/OS Tivoli Management Services (TMS)-dependent Agents).
Please ensure that you are using the latest versions of these key deployment topics:
o Getting Started
- Quick Start Guide
- Prerequisites and Packaging
- Preinstallation Requirements and Checklists (URL: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21318692)
- First-time Deployment Guide
o Scenarios and how-tos
IBM KC OMXE shared publications deployment topics map.zip
These IBM® Knowledge Center OMEGAMON XE shared publications topics follow the PARMGEN infrastructure modifications delivered in each PARMGEN Interim Feature.
Tip: IBM® Knowledge Center provides a way to create Knowledge Center PDFs via "My Collections" tab.
For more information about "My Collections", refer to System z Community Blog: "Where has the OMEGAMON documentation gone?" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/omegamon_shared_documentation_ch_ch_ch_changes?lang=en)
Reference: New OMEGAMON V5.3, V7.3 releases full manual PDF links for customer requests:(Date Last Updated: 20141112)
Reference: New OMEGAMON V5.3, V7.3 releases full manual PDF links for customer requests
- Reference: From our Information Development team:
- ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/tivoli/OMEGAMON/OMEGAMON_shared/ - Shared Documents for all OMEGAMONs
- ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/tivoli/OMEGAMON/OMXESTOR/ - OMEGAMON XE for Storage V530 PDFs
- ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/tivoli/OMEGAMON/OMXEZOS/ - OMEGAMON XE for z/OS V530 PDFs
- ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/tivoli/OMEGAMON/OMXECICS/530/ - OMEGAMON XE for CICS V530 PDFs
- ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/tivoli/OMEGAMON/OMXEMES/ - OMEGAMON XE for Messaging V730 PDFs
- https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27020910#omegaxepe-lib - OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert V520 PDFs
- https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27020910#omegaxepm-lib - OMEGAMON XE for for DB2 Performance Monitor V520 PDFs
Deployment considerations : Helpful reference ( Additional handy planning, ordering, installation/maintenance and configuration-related technotes):
- Planning an Upgrade: Feature documents: OMEGAMON V510/V520/V530 ITM V623/V630 on z/OS”: URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21626495
- Planning and Ordering: "OMEGAMON and TMS on z/OS ”: URL:https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21631828&lnk=uctug_tivoli_nwsltr_ITMV6
- Planning and Ordering: "Locating ITM Workspace Application Support Files for z/OS Agents ”: URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21255545
- Planning and Ordering: "Preinstallation Requirements and Instructions ”: URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21318692
- Installation: "Recommended Maintenance Service Levels for Tivoli OMEGAMON XE and Tivoli Advanced Reporting products on ITM V6.x ”: URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21290883
- Configuration: "Using best practice variables in PARMGEN configuration profiles": URL: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21683976
Additional Featured Links : Service Management Connect: URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/servicemanagement/
- PARMGEN Blogs:
- October 2014 Blog: "New to PARMGEN? Hit the ground running with the First-time-user (FTU) deployment guide" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/new_to_parmgen_hit_the_ground_running_with_the_first_time_user_ftu_deployment_guide?lang=en)
- October 2014 Blog: "Save the Date! Discuss OMEGAMON V530 Install/Config. Live with PARMGEN R&D team on Wednesday, October 29th & November 19th @ 10 a.m. US ET " (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/save_the_date_discuss_omegamon_v530_install_config_live_with_parmgen_r_d_team_on_wednesday_october_29th_and_november_19th_10_a_m_eastern_us?lang=en)
- September 2014 Blog: "Where has the OMEGAMON documentation gone?" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/omegamon_shared_documentation_ch_ch_ch_changes?lang=en)
- September 2014 Blog: "No customers left behind -- new PARMGEN Quick Config. mode benefits all OMEGAMON users " (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/parmgen_quick_configuration_mode_is_for_all_new_ftus_and_existing_smes?lang=en)
- August 2014 Blog: "Three Hours to Thrill: OMEGAMON Configuration Tip#1! " (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/parmgen_tip?lang=en)
- July 2014 Blog: "Good news for PARMGEN First-Time-Users (FTU) and PARMGEN SMEs - deploy OMEGAMON management suites even faster using PARMGEN Quick Configuration mode!" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/good_news_for_both_parmgen_first_time_users_ftu_and_smes_deploy_omegamon_management_suites_even_faster_using_parmgen_quick_configuration_mode?lang=en)
- Blog: "PARMGEN tip: Create or convert a sharing-with-Base RTE and a Base RTE in one streamlined PARMGEN process" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/parmgen_tip_designate_a_master_sharing_rte_to_avoid_loading_shared_libraries_multiple_times1?lang=en)
- Blog: "PARMGEN tip: Designate a master sharing RTE to avoid loading shared libraries multiple times" (URL: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/5e65990a-9690-42e2-93b1-c2267be7620c/entry/parmgen_tip_designate_a_master_sharing_rte_to_avoid_loading_shared_libraries_multiple_times?lang=en)
- Section: What's New in 3Q14 IF? <--- *GA* (Date Last Updated: 20140915)
- Tip: Install HKCI310 PTF UA73689 (3Q14B APAR OA45024) PARMGEN Interim Feature PTF to run with the new "Quick Configuration" Mode for PARMGEN First-Time-Users (FTU) and PARMGEN subject-matter-experts (SME):
PARMGEN First-Time-User (FTU) presentation (Part 1 of 2).zip PARMGEN First-Time-User (FTU) presentation (Part 2 of 2).zip
- *Section: (Reference Only) Previous nQyyA/nQyyB Interim Features (IFs)(Date Last Updated: 20140901) in the "Attachments"
- *Section: FAQS (Date Last Updated: 20130803) in the "Attachments"
- *Section: (Reference Only) Sample RTE Implementation Scenarios (Date Last Updated: 20130627) in the "Attachments"
- *Section: (Reference Only) RFEs for Prioritization in the "Attachments"
*Note: In the " Attachments :" section of this technote is a detailed discussion of the FAQs and topics labeled " (Reference Only)" PARMGEN topics.
TIP: : As you navigate through the larger sections of this document, do a FIND on " Date Last Updated:" to quickly see if the frequently-subscribed Section(s) such as " Section: What's New in nQyyA/nQyyB IF?", " Section: What will be in nQyyA/nQyyB IF?" or " Section: FAQs" have been updated recently.
Each applicable Section will have a " ( Date Last Updated: yyyymmdd)" label for readability and ease-of-use.
Presentations and Upcoming Training Sessions : ( Date Last Updated: 20141007)
- Section A. Discuss OMEGAMON XE V530 Installation and Configuration Live with PARMGEN R&D team
Broadcast Invitation: Discuss OMEGAMON XE V530 Installation and Configuration Live with PARMGEN R&D team
Purpose: Everyone is welcome to attend this informal, open Q&A forum on PARMGEN and OMEGAMON/ITM-related topics.
- Planned Calls: *4Q14* 11/19/2014 (Wednesday) @ 10:00 a.m. ET (US)
- **Held** 10/29/2014 (Wednesday) @ 10:00 a.m. ET (US)
Details: On Service Management Connect (SMC) System z Blog entry:
- Section B. Pulse 2014 PARMGEN Session E03 Hands-on Lab Guide
At the IBM Pulse 2014 Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada held in February 2014, PARMGEN hosted a hands-on lab training. For your reference, Session E03 PARMGEN Hands-on Lab. Guide is also now available for downloading.
Two scenarios are supplied to get you acquainted with the PARMGEN method of configuration.
- Scenario PGN01: Create an SMP-sharing runtime environment (RTE) with a z/OS Hub TEMS and OMEGAMON Agents. This first scenario simulates a brand new deployment such as a new install or a deployment for a Proof of Concept (PoC) to cater to our first time users.
- Scenario PGN02: Convert an existing Configuration Tool (ICAT) RTE to PARMGEN and upgrade the products to the current release. This second scenario simulates a real-world upgrade for an existing customer who has a mix of products. In the real world, perhaps not all of your products would be upgraded, but all in the RTE are converted to use PARMGEN where existing configuration values established in ICAT may be harvested and re-used in PARMGEN.
- Section C. SHARE Conference in Boston held August 12 - 16, 2013 (Date Last Updated: 20130825)
- Section: (Reference Only) Previous nQyyA/nQyyB Interim Features (IFs) (Date Last Updated: 20140901)
The following Interim Features (IFs) from previous maintenance cycles are also available for reference.
- Section: What's New in 1Q14A?: (Date Last Updated: 20140901)
===END " Section: What's New in 1Q14A? "===
- Section: What's New in 4Q13B?: (Date Last Updated: 20140301)PARMGEN 4Q13B Whats New (HKCI310 PTF UA71761 APAR OA44054) Interim Feature D20140123.zip
- Section: What's New in 4Q13A?: (Date Last Updated: 20140103)PARMGEN 4Q13A Whats New (HKCI310 PTF UA71054 APAR OA43392) Interim Feature D20131022.zip
===END " Section: (Reference Only) Previous nQyyA/nQyyB Interim Features (IFs) "===
- Section: FAQs: (Date Last Updated: 20130803)
- FAQ Index: The following "FAQ#nn QUESTION:" entries list the queries addressed in this section. Navigate to the
- FAQ Details" section below for the detailed discussion. For ease-of-use, the FAQs have been grouped by popular search keywords that may be used and/or basic category where an FAQ may be classified under so the FAQ#nn are not in any ascending or descending order, but rather grouped by category based on when the FAQ was logged.
FAQ#55 QUESTION : <placeholder>
PARMGEN FAQs D20130803.zip
===END " FAQ#nn "===
===END " Sub-section: FAQ Details "===
===END " Section. FAQs "===
- Section: Sample RTE Implementation Scenarios: (Date Last Updated: 20130627)
Section. Sample RTE Implementation Scenarios:
- The latest version of the PARMGEN Reference Guide (Scenarios-based) is now posted in the IBM Tivoli Monitoring and OMEGAMON XE Infocenter (official documentation found in URL: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v61r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itm.doc_6.3%2Fwelcome.htm under "OMEGAMON XE shared publications"). Please refer to the Infocenter for an updated copy.
- TIP: : Please always use the latest version (under "Version 6.3.0" March 2013) -- they are downward compatible (i.e., use the shared publications under "Version 630" link although you may still have ITM V623 installed and configured)
- The latest version of the Common Parameter Reference Guide is also now posted in the Infocenter (prior version from February 2011).
===END " Section: Sample RTE Implementation Scenarios "===
|Native Language Translations|
|This is not a required field. Use these fields to specify the DocNumber of native version translations of this content||Doc Link|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for CICS on z/OS||z/OS||5.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert for z/OS||z/OS||5.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Monitor for z/OS||z/OS||5.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for IMS on z/OS||z/OS||4.2.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on z/OS||z/OS||5.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Management Server for Distributed Systems on z/OS||z/OS||6.2.2|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Monitoring Version 6||z/OS||6.2.2|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON DE on z/OS||5.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Mainframe Networks||ITCAM for RT Enabler for z/OS 5698-B01 v620||z/OS||4.2.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||IBM OMEGAMON z/OS Management Console||z/OS||4.1.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Messaging for z/OS||z/OS||7.0.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Storage on z/OS||z/OS||4.2.0|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli System Automation for z/OS||z/OS||3.3|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli NetView for z/OS||z/OS||V6R1|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Transactions for z/OS||z/OS|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Composite Application Manager for SOA Platform||z/OS||7.1.1|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics on z/OS||z/OS||7.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Advanced Audit for DFSMShsm||z/OS||2.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Advanced Backup and Recovery for z/OS||z/OS||2.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS||z/OS||2.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Advanced Reporting for DFSMShsm||z/OS||2.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Advanced Allocation Management||z/OS||3.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Automated Tape Allocation Manager for z/OS||z/OS||3.1|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Tape Optimizer on z/OS||z/OS||2.2|
|Systems and Asset Management||Tivoli Decision Support for z/OS||z/OS||1.8.1|
z/OS ICAT Installation and Configuration Assistance Tool - Configuration Tool for z/OS-based OMEGAMON/ITM suite of products.