Microsoft Office 2007 documents do not open correctly when accessed over the web
When a user attempts to access a Microsoft Office 2007 document (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc.) on the Domino Web Server, or as an attachment in iNotes, the file may not open or save correctly.
In some cases, the browser identifies the attachment as a zip file.
The user may be prompted to download the file locally, even though the file type is associated with the correct application in their browser.
This issue occurs because the MIME types for Microsoft Office 2007 formats are not listed in the Web Server metabase on the Domino server (httpd.cnf).
Currently, when a HTTP request is made for an unknown file type, the server returns a Content-Type of "application/octet-stream" in the response, instead of the appropriate Office 2007 MIME type.
Resolving the problem
This issue is now fixed in Lotus Notes and Domino 8.5.1 FP4 and 8.5.2.
Fix details: SPR# JBEN7WRHM7
Refer to the Upgrade Central site for details on upgrading Notes/Domino.
To resolve the issue in a previous release, IBM recommends performing the following actions to add the Office 2007 MIME types to your current Web Server metabase (httpd.cnf):
1) Shutdown the HTTP process by issuing the following command on the Domino server console: tell http quit
2) Open the httpd.cnf file (located in the Domino Data directory) using a text editor, such as Notepad. In order to edit this type of file on most operating systems, it will be necessary to launch the editor first and then open using the file menu from within the editor.
3) Copy the Office 2007 MIME types below and paste them into the httpd.cnf file (Note: When inserted, each line below should begin with either the hash symbol "#" or "AddType")
# Microsoft Office 2007 formats
AddType .docx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
AddType .dotx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template
AddType .xlsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
AddType .xltx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.template
AddType .pptx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
AddType .potx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.template
AddType .ppsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.slideshow
Note: The above list only includes the most commonly used Office 2007 MIME types. For a complete list of the document types addressed by SPR # JBEN7WRHM7 (including other extensions that may be needed in your environment), please refer to the following Microsoft documentation:
4) Restart the HTTP task by issuing the following command on the Domino server console: load http
Steps for the iSeries platform:
On the IBM i, i5/OS and OS/400 platforms this can be accomplished using the 5250 Emulator (green screen) with the following commands:
- WRKDOMSVR <enter>
- Option 12 in front of the server that hosts iNotes <enter>
- Shift F5, then Position to . . . . . . httpd.cnf (this search is cap sensitive)
- Option 2 in front of the httpd.cnf file <enter> (to Edit the file)
- On the CMD line where the text is empty, you may type i11 <enter> (this will inset 11 blank lines to work with)
- Paste the Microsoft Office 2007 formats explicitly as you see it within this tech note.
- F3 Save Exit
- Restart the HTTP task
Translate this page: