"CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target" when connecting to Rule Team Server/Decision Center or Rule Execution Server over HTTPS
How do I resolve the "[java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException or sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException]: unable to find valid certification path to requested target" error I get when connecting to Rule Team Server (RTS)/Decision Center(DC) or Rule Execution Server over HTTPS/SSL?
If your application server is using a non-trusted certificate and because by default only trusted certificates are supported for HTTPS/SSL, you will get this type of error when trying to connect to RTS/DC or Rule Execution Server:
ilog.rules.res.util.http.IlrConnectionException: IO error when contacting "/res/repositoryService" [or "https://<hostname>:<port>/teamserver"]
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: com.ibm.jsse2.util.g: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Caused by: com.ibm.jsse2.util.g: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
This is the case, for example, for WebSphere Application Server (WAS) until version 6.1.
Starting in 7.0, WAS default certificate is signed by a default server root certificate, the error and solution are then different. Refer to technote CertPathValidatorException when connection to Rule Team Server /Decision Center or Rule Execution Server over HTTPS in such case.
- With a Sun JVM the root error would be:
sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
- When connecting from within Rule Studio/Designer, Eclipse may not show the root error in its logs, in which case you will need to refer to technote Connection with Rule Team Server/Decision Center has failed to see a stack trace like the above.
In order to resolve this problem, set the following Java system property on the client side to allow HTTPS/SSL connections with non-trusted certificates:
- to connect to Rule Execution Server:
- to connect to Rule Team Server/Decision Center:
Whether you connect to RTS/DC or Rule Execution Server:
- If your client is Rule Studio/Designer, set the property in the build.xml starting the associated Eclipse instance. See section WebSphere ILOG JRules BRMS V7.1 > Rule Studio > Synchronizing and storing rules > Understanding synchronization > Synchronization and the communication protocol of the 7.1 documentation for details for the connection with RTS and section WebSphere ILOG JRules BRMS V7.1 > Rule Execution Server > Deploying rulesets > Deploying and exporting RuleApps > Deploying a RuleApp to one or more Rule Execution Servers for the connection with Rule Execution Server.
- If you are performing a remote DVS test from Rule Studio/Designer, the property as indicated above is not propagated to the DVS client which runs on a new JVM instance. A solution in that case is to set this -Dilog.rules.res.allowSelfSignedCertificate=true in the IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable.
- If you are using ANT tasks, you will add the property in your build.xml as a property in the corresponding ANT target , or at the project level to cover all tasks (see the JRules 7.1 documentation at WebSphere ILOG JRules BRMS V7.1 > Customizing > Customizing Rule Team Server > Customizing the Rule Team Server behavior > Ant task communication protocol for RTS and WebSphere ILOG JRules BRMS V7.1 > Reference > Ant tasks for RuleApp management > Communication protocol for Rule Execution Server).
- If your client is RTS (to connect to Rule Execution Server), set the property in the start script of your application server (see section WebSphere ILOG JRules BRMS V7.1 > Installing > Installation overview > Communication protocol of the JRules 7.1 documentation). Refer to the vendor's documentation for more details on setting system properties for its application server.
|Business Integration||IBM Operational Decision Manager||Platform Independent||8.0, 7.5|