You want to start using the CICS Explorer for CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS). You need to know things like: which release of CICS Explorer comes with IBM Explorer for z/OS; which release you should use; how do you download and configure CICS Explorer; how do you obtain updates or previous releases of CICS Explorer; and which products integrate and support CICS Explorer.
Visit CICS Explorer at ibm.com for more information including demos.
IBM recommends that you use the latest supported version of CICS Explorer and, where applicable, the latest version of any plug-ins you have installed for CICS Explorer; available from the main CICS Explorer download page. Simply follow the download instructions appropriate to your current installation environment and scenario.
Copies of previous releases of CICS Explorer and plug-ins for CICS Explorer are available from the CICS Explorer releases no longer available on primary download page. If you need to determine which release of a plug-in for CICS Explorer works with which release of CICS Explorer, see the CICS Explorer and CICS tools plug-ins release compatibility reference tables.
For more information, see Getting started (with CICS Explorer) in the IBM Knowledge Center for CICS TS.
- IBM Explorer for z/OS* (z/OS Explorer) and CICS Explorer are available as a separately available free downloads only, and are not shipped with CICS TS.
- Always read the supplied CICS Explorer release notes and CICS Explorer Readme document as they contain important information, such as Prerequisites.
- From release 5.1.1 onwards of CICS Explorer, the CICS Explorer Software Development Kit (SDK) is always also installed. For users of CICS Explorer prior to release 5.1.1, you must download the CICS Explorer (SDK) separately; available from the main CICS Explorer download page.
- The original unsupported SupportPac that first introduced CICS Explorer in November 2008 (codenamed CS1J) was withdrawn.
*z/OS Explorer is shipped as part of an IBM Installation Manager package and is installed alongside CICS Explorer. z/OS Explorer forms part of the core of CICS Explorer, from release 5.1 onwards.
After installation, you must configure the CICS Explorer connections to your CICS or CICSPlex SM (CPSM) systems.
There are two types of connections you can use:
- CICSPlex SM Data Interface for a read-only connection to a CICS TS V4 (or later) or CICS TS V3 CPSM WUI server.
- CICS management client interface (CMCI) for a connection to a CICS TS V4 (or later) CPSM WUI, or a single CICS region with update capability.
If you want to update any MAS or CICSplex using a CMCI connection, you will need to be running CPSM V4 (or later) agent code in the MAS and be connected to a CICS TS V4 (or later) WUI.
For more information, refer to sections Configuring a system connection and Setting up CMCI with CICSPlex SM in the Knowledge Center for CICS TS.
IBM provides updates to CICS Explorer on a regular basis and provides three methods for you to obtain maintenance for it. The most up-to-date release of CICS Explorer and plug-ins for CICS Explorer are always available from the main CICS Explorer download page.
If you have an earlier release of CICS Explorer and want to update it to a newer version, then visit the main CICS Explorer download page, and follow the download instructions appropriate to your current installation environment and scenario. Visit the latest version of the CICS Explorer page to see the highlights from each version and the corresponding CICS tools plug-ins.
If you have an earlier release of CICS Explorer and want to acquire another copy of that release, then visit the CICS Explorer releases no longer available on primary download page.
If you need to determine which release of a plug-in for CICS Explorer works with which release of CICS Explorer, see the CICS Explorer and CICS tools plug-ins release compatibility reference tables.
- IBM recommends that anytime you upgrade the CICS Explorer that you take a backup of your CICS Explorer workspace.
- z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer are fully supported by IBM. For more information on service and support, see Ordering maintenance for the IBM Explorer for z/OS, IBM CICS Explorer, and CICS Explorer plug-ins.
- If you upgrade from CICS Explorer 5.1.0 or earlier to CICS Explorer 5.1.1 or later, perspective layout customizations will not be preserved. This is because of the way that perspective layout customizations are stored, which has changed between Eclipse 3.6.2 (for CICS Explorer 5.1.0) and Eclipse 4.2.2 (for CICS Explorer 5.1.1).
The CICS Explorer forum enables you to interact other users and with the CICS Explorer development team about questions and problems related to the CICS Explorer. Use this forum to better understand the CICS Explorer, to debug problems, to make requests, and to get answers. This forum is moderated by CICS Explorer architects, developers, and testers.
To find out more about the CICS Explorer see FAQs on the CICS Explorer forum.
IBM would like to hear your views about the CICS Explorer and what you would like to see it deliver in future versions. To tell IBM about yourself and let IBM know what you think, contact the CICS Explorer team by sending an email to email@example.com.
The following IBM products support CICS Explorer:
- CICS Transaction Server for z/OS
- CICS Transaction Server for VSE/ESA
- CICS Configuration Manager for z/OS
- CICS Deployment Assistant for z/OS
- CICS Interdependency Analyzer for z/OS
- CICS Performance Analyzer for z/OS
- CICS Transaction Gateway
- IBM Application Performance Analyzer for z/OS
- IBM Debug Tool for z/OS
- IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS
- IBM File Manager for z/OS
- IBM IMS Enterprise Suite Explorer
- IBM Problem Determination Tools Studio
- IBM Session Manager for z/OS
- IBM Rational Developer for System z
- IBM Workload Simulator for z/OS and OS/390
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server