What are the available license types for use with IBM Security AppScan Standard, and how to apply the licenses in the common installation scenarios?
AppScan Standard uses only one Rational Common Licensing license key called AppScanStandard. This license key works with any version of AppScan Standard since version 7.8. The key can be of type Floating or Node-locked:
- Node-locked license key
A Node-locked license key is tied to a particular machine. The license allows you to open and use AppScan Standard instances on the particular machine only. License Key Server is not needed to manage this type of license key. You import the license key into the machine using the License Key Administrator, a tool installed by default when installing AppScan Standard.
In the License Key Center the key is called "IBM Security AppScan Standard Authorized User Single Install License Key ".
The license key looks like this:
INCREMENT AppScanStandard ... Nodelocked ...
- Floating license key
Floating licenses are installed onto the License Key Server. AppScan pulls a license from the license server. The license key is checked out when you open an AppScan Standard instance, and returned when AppScan Standard is closed. The advantage of this type of license is you can install and run AppScan Standard on any machine that has a network connection to the License Key Server.
In the License Key Center the key is called "IBM Security AppScan Standard Floating User Single Install License Key"
The license key looks like this:
INCREMENT AppScanStandard ... Floating ...
If you have both licenses installed in your system, AppScan will use the Node-locked license before a Floating license.
How to apply licenses in the common installation scenarios
A) Installing a new AppScan Standard installation
- Obtain your license keys
The license keys can be obtained from the License Key Center. Check the presentation at: How to generate license keys at License Key Center.
- Install License Key Server
You need to use a License Key Server only if using Floating license keys. If you already have a License Key Server installed to serve another product, you may use that License Key Server for AppScan Standard licensing as well. For a new installation, refer to the technote How to install License Key Server.
- Import the license keys into License Key Server (Floating) or AppScan Standard (Notelocked). Consult technote How to import license keys into Appscan Standard.
B) Upgrading AppScan Standard
AppScan Standard licenses work with all versions of AppScan Standard. Therefore, when you upgrade AppScan Standard to a later version, you do NOT need to upgrade or renew AppScan Standard license keys.
However, if you upgrade from AppScan Standard version 18.104.22.168 or earlier to version 8.5 or later, there are two possible issues to deal with:
- If using Floating licenses, you will need to upgrade your License Key Server to version 8.1.2 or later.
- If your AppScan still uses a legacy Watchfire license, you will need to upgrade them to Rational Common Licenses, since legacy Watchfire licenses do not work with AppScan Standard 8.5 or later.
C) Moving AppScan Standard installation to another machine
- If using a Nodelocked license, you need to return the current key to the License Key Center, and to generate a new license key for the new machine. For details consult the technote: How to transfer License Key Server or license keys.
- If using Floating licenses and the License Key Server resides on another machine (which is not impacted by the move), you do not need to upgrade either the license keys or the License Key Server. After the installation on the new machine is completed, just point the new License Key Administrator (installed with the new AppScan Standard installation) to the current License Key Server. For details refer to technote: How to import license keys into Appscan Standard.
- If using Floating licenses, and the License Key Server is installed on the same machine and is going to be moved to the new machine, you will need to return the license keys before generating new keys for the new machine. For details refer to technote: How to transfer License Key Server or license keys.
Then proceed with the scenario for A) Installing a new AppScan Standard installation.