High Availability hub Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server (TEMS) on z/OS: The next level of flexibility for the hub TEMS on z/OS
This document describes a method of configuring a z/OS® hub Tivoli® Enterprise Monitoring Server TEMS in such a way as to make it moveable. The Hub TEMS as configured by the z/OS Configuration Tool (aka "ICAT") is static by definition, prior to ITM6.2.1. z/OS TEMS configured via ICAT prior to ITM6.2.1 cannot be moved from one LPAR to another without reconfiguring every component that connects to it.
The technique described here allows the Hub TEMS to be relocated to any suitable LPAR in the sysplex with no changes, and with minimal disruption to all components connecting to it.
This High Availability Hub (HA Hub) differs from the previously documented moveable Hub in that it does not attempt to replace the Remote TEMS already running on the LPAR to which it is being moved. Instead, the HA Hub runs alongside the Remote TEMS and does not duplicate any of the functions performed by that Remote TEMS, which makes configuring and moving the HA Hub much simpler while adding only a marginal amount of overhead for the framework components in the new HA Hub .
Conceptually, the HA hub is a distributed Hub monitoring server that runs in a z/OS address space. The HA hub does no more and no less than a Hub TEMS running on a Windows® or Linux® on zSeries® system.
Benefit: Similar to the clustering capabilities on distributed platform, this will define an HA solution for z/OS which will fulfill customer failover requirements for a z/OS-based Hub TEMS.
- Enablement support:
1. Common Infrastructure: HKCI310 PTF UA43882 and HKDS621 UA45107 configuration PTFs (and higher maintenance).
2. Application enablement support (see "Enablement Support" Section in the Word doc. attachment)
1. "High Availability z/OS Hub TEMS support" Newsflash Technote #1326770 to cover mixed environments (GA-1, GA and GA+1 applications).
2. Printable, on-line “Configuration information (What's New)” README.
3. “High Availability Guide” – cross-references the “Configuring the Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server on z/OS”.
4. Latest “Configuring the Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server on z/OS” – provides the deep-dive details how to set up a z/OS Hub TEMS for HA support.
5. *** For PARMGEN (PARMLIB) Implementation *** Please refer to the FAQ Section of the PARMGEN Technote: Newsflash Technote #1417935: "PARMLIB Alternative Configuration for OMEGAMON XE and Tivoli Management Services Products on z/OS"URL: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21417935
6. OPAL High-Availability Hub TEMS-related Documents Available:
- “High-Availability Hub Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server on z/OS - The next level of flexibility for the hub TEMS on z/OS ” http://www-01.ibm.com/software/brandcatalog/portal/opal/details?catalog.label=1TW10TM61
- “Automating a High Available HUB TEMS on z/OS” http://www-01.ibm.com/software/brandcatalog/portal/opal/details?catalog.label=1TW10SA04
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.