Error: Only the creator of a change set can change its comment
This technote describes a limitation in IBM® Rational® Team Concert (RTC) related to the setting of the comment on a change set which can prevent delivery of the change set in certain situations.
Attempting to deliver a change set to a stream in Rational Team Concert results in a process delivery rule violation due to the change set not having a user provided comment. However, the current user is unable to change the comment on the change set; effectively preventing the change set from being delivered.
Rational Team Concert does not allow the comment on a change set to be modified by a user other than the creator (owner) of the change set. If the process delivery rules specify that a change set must have a comment, this can prevent another user from being able to deliver the change set.
Rational Team Concert and Jazz Source Control.
Diagnosing the problem
Inability to deliver a completed change due to no comment being associated with the change set and attempting to edit the comment results in the error:
Only the creator of a change set can change its comment...
Resolving the problem
There are essentially 3 ways to work around this issue and allow delivery of the changes to the desired stream:
- Have a user with administrator privileges add an appropriate comment to the change set (administrators are allowed to modify comments on change sets regardless of the creator of the change set). Once the change set has a comment you should be able to deliver it (unless there is some other delivery rule preventing its delivery).
- Change the process delivery rule in the process configuration so that the rule is "overrulable". When the delivery is blocked, select the "request overrule" button and retry the delivery.
- Instead of accepting the change set, create a patch from the change set and then apply the patch to your workspace and check in the changes to your own change set. To create a patch:
- Open the change set in the "Change Explorer" by right clicking on it and selecting "Open in Change Explorer".
- From the change explorer right-click and select "New->Patch...".
- Click OK to save the patch to the clipboard.
- Right click on the appropriate resource in the navigator view and select Team -> Apply Patch... to apply the patch to your workspace.