InfoSphere Warehouse Cubing Services Tutorial
This is an updated tutorial for the Cubing Services function of DB2 Warehouse 9.5 and InfoSphere Warehouse 9.5.1. The tutorial guides you to build cubes based on a start schema using Design Studio.
In this InfoSphere Warehouse Cubing Services tutorial, you learn how to create a simple cube in the Design Studio, which you can then access from your business analysis applications. The cube is based on the DWESAMP data, and is designed to analyze sales by store over time.
After completing the lessons in this tutorial, you will know how to:
* Set up the Design Studio environment for OLAP modeling
* Create a cube model that contains a facts object and multiple dimensions
* Create a simple cube that is derived from a cube model
* Add dimensions, levels, and hierarchies to a cube
* Add SQL and MDX calculated measures to a cube
* Deploy a cube model
This tutorial is for users who are new to Cubing Services in InfoSphere Warehouse and users who want to build a cube, including database administrators, cube designers, and application programmers.
The tutorial assumes that you have basic knowledge of multidimensional data concepts.
This tutorial should take approximately two hours to complete.
Save the attached ISW_Cube_Design_Tutorial.zip file to your local hard drive, unzip it, and then open the index.html file in the ISW_Cube_Design_Tutorial directory.
This tutorial contains the following lessons:
* Lesson 1: Getting started with OLAP modeling
Setting up your Design Studio workspace and creating a project that contains a data model that contains your OLAP cube
* Lesson 2: Creating a cube model by using the QuickStart wizard
Using the physical data you created in Lesson 1 to create a cube model that will contain your cube
* Lesson 3: Creating a simple cube
Creating a simple cube based on the cube model you created in Lesson 2
* Lesson 4: Adding a multilevel dimension to your cube
Adding a multilevel time dimension to the cube that you created in Lesson 3
* Lesson 5: Adding calculated measures to the cube
Adding two calculated measures to the cube
* Lesson 6: Deploying the cube model to the metadata database
Making your cube model available.
* Lesson 7: Creating Materialized Query Table (MQT) recommendations
Improving query performance using the Optimization Advisor wizard.
* Lesson 8: Deploying your recommended materialized query tables (MQTs)
Deploying your optimizations
* Lesson 9: Adding the cube to the cube server
Making your cube available to your cube server
More support for:
DWE - Cubing Services
Software version: 9.5, 9.5.1
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1312781
Modified date: 15 April 2013