What is the default username and password to logon to WebSphere® Application Server Community Edition Administrative Console? How to add users to admin group?
Steps to login to WebSphere Application Server Community Edition Administrative Console:
- Launch a browser and navigate to the welcome page using the link,
- Enter the following username and password and click Login.
- Username: system
- Password: manager
- WebSphere Application Server Community Edition provides a default security realm by name geronimo-admin which is based on a PropertiesLoginModule.
- Deployer and Admin console authenticate against this geronimo-admin realm. The authenticating user should belong to admin group.
- The geronimo-admin realm uses users and groups properties file which are located in <wasce-home>/var/security. By default, users.properties file contain user system with password manager and groups.properties file contain system as admin group.
- All passwords used by PropertiesLoginModule in WebSphere Application Server Community Edition, are encrypted using a default encryption manager.
- Users and groups can be added in 2 ways:
- Using Console Realm portlet in Admin Console.
- Using properties file.
Using Console Realm portlet in Admin Console
- Launch browser and navigate to Admin console at
http://localhost:8080/console. Logon with username system, password manager.
- On the console navigation, under Security select Console Realm.
Note : For version 2.1.x.x users, select Users and Groups on the console navigation, under Security
- Select Create New User to add new user.
- Specify UserID, Group and Password.
- Click Add.
Using properties file
- Browse to the location <wasce-home>/var/security and edit users.properties file.
- Add a new line of username, password pair (for example: john=secret)
john - username
secret - password
- Save changes to the file.
- Edit groups.properties file and add username to the admin group (for example: admin=system, john).
- Save changes to file. Now the new username/password can be used for authentication. Please note that the password of the new user added in users.properties in this scenario needs a server restart for password encryption in the file.
Note: <wasce-home> - Installation directory of WebSphere Application Server Community Edition.