This technote explains why the IBM Installation Manager crashes while attempting to launch the program and provides steps to resolve the issue.
IBM Installation Manager hangs or is very unresponsive after startup.
Installation Manager fails to do an Update after a long delay.
The following causes affect IBM Installation Manager startup:
- IBM Installation Manager failed during the installation or update process
- Files or folders in the IBM Installation Manager installation directory were accidentally removed
- The IBM Installation Manager folder contains corrupted data
Resolving the problem
Starting in version 1.5.2 of Installation Manager, you can use the -reinstallIM option to install the same version or a later version of Installation Manager. Use this option when you have issues with the current installation of Installation Manager.
If you cannot use Installation Manager v1.5.2 or above, use the method below.
Reinstall IBM Installation Manager without uninstalling the point products usually resolves most issues.
For UNIX users, the instruction below can be applied on UNIX platforms; however, you must use the UNIX paths that are listed in this table.
|"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IBM\Installation Manager" (XP and server 2003)||/var/ibm/InstallationManager|
|"C:\Program Files\IBM\Installation Manager" (Vista, 7, and server 2008)||/opt/IBM/InstallationManager|
- Make a copy of "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IBM\Installation Manager" folder. (This folder is also known as agentDataLocation).
To collect agentData on a different platform (for example Vista or Linux) use Find IBM Installation Manager Troubleshooting Logs technote that is listed in the Related information below.
Note: agentData contains important information for IBM Installation Manager such as a list of products that have been installed, troubleshooting logs, and more. Having a copy of Installation Manager folder is good idea in case the IM install.exe fails to restore. Also, for non-admin users who previously installed IM by using userinst.exe, the agentData and the IM installed directory are located in the users' Documents and Settings folder. For example: the IM installed directory is located in C:\Documents and Settings\user1\IBM\Installation Manager.
For IM version 1.3 or above, IM users can copy the folder by using Export Data for Problem Analysis feature -- Installation Manager > Help > Export Data for Problem Analysis. If IM users have trouble copying the agentData folder, see Related Information URL below.
- Rename the IBM Installation Manager <installation_folder> (default location: "C:\Program Files\IBM\Installation Manager") to "IBM Installation Manager.bak".
Note: This step ensures that users can reinstall the new Installation Manager (See steps 5 and 6) on the original install location.
- Download the latest version of IBM Installation Manager from the following link:
Note: Find the latest version of IBM Installation Manager from the following link: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Rational/IBM_Installation_Manager
- Extract the latest version of IBM Installation Manager to a temporary folder
- Go to the temporary folder that you created in step 4 and execute install.exe (Windows) or install (UNIX)
- Follow the instruction in the install wizard.
Note: When the install wizard asks you for the install location, select the IBM Installation Manager <Installation_folder> that was renamed in step 2.
- After the installation, launch IBM Installation Manager.
Note: The IBM Installation Manager.bak and the copied Installation Manager folder in steps 1-2 can be removed once Installation Manager is fully functional.
If the workaround does not resolve the issue, copy the agentData folder and contact IBM Support.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.