MustGather: Problems with Spnego
Collecting data for problems with the IBM WebSphere Application Server SPNEGO component. Gathering this MustGather information before calling IBM support will help you understand the problem and save time analyzing the data.
Resolving the problem
If you have already contacted support, continue on to the component-specific MustGather information. Otherwise, click: MustGather: Read first for all WebSphere Application Server products.
Spnego specific MustGather information
1) WebSphere Application Server version :
Active Directory version :
Client OS version :
2) What is the full web request URL accessed by the client browser ?
3) Is the requested hostname a DNS alias (CNAME Record) or real hostname (A Record) ?
4) What Active Directory userID is used to map to the desired SPN's ?
Provide a screen shot of the Active Directory User properties Account Tab for this user.
5) Please provide the commands issued to create the keytab and SPN mappings on the AD server. If possible, also provide the command output.
6) Provide screen shot's of SPN hostname filter entries in the WebSphere admin console.
7) Are additional SPNEGO filter criteria being used ? If yes, what are they ?
8) Find all SPN mapping occurrences mapped to AD user names:
On the Active Directory Server, run following command:
C:\ldifde -f output.txt -r "(servicePrincipalName=HTTP/hostname.domain.com)"
(hostname.domain.com is the same fqdn hostname used in the web request by the client)
9) Are there any load balancers, firewalls, proxies, or web servers in the mix, or any devices/appliances between the client browser and WebSphere ? If so, would you please provide basic login flow details with relevant topology involved.
10) Is this a single Active Directory domain or do you have trusted domains/forests ? Please elaborate if the latter.
11) Screen hostshots of client browser SPNEGO settings.
12) Also provide your krb5 config and keytab files.
13) Is SPNEGO configured within a security domain ? If so, please
provide the ../<profile_root>/config/waspolicies directory.
14) Capture a trace and run collector tool for SPNEGO issues :
NOTE: If possible, when capturing the traces, attempt a recreate using the default application /snoop servlet instead of any custom application. This will help rule out any application issues and confirm if SPNEGO configuration is truly working or not.
- In the Administrative Console, navigate to Servers > Application Servers > server_name. Under Server Infrastructure, expand Java and process management. Select Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine > Custom Properties. Create two new Java ™ Virtual Machine (JVM) properties:
- Expand TroubleShooting > Logs and Trace > server_name.
- Select Diagnostic Trace Service. Increase the Maximum Number of Historical Files from 1 to 10.
- Click Apply, then select Change Log Detail Levels.
- Clear the trace string in the box and replace it with the following trace string:
- Click Apply, and Save.
Stop the server and delete or rename all the logs in the profile_home/logs directory. Then restart the server. This ensures that the logs are recent.
- Recreate the problem. Make note of the time the problem occurs, the client user ID which logged into the Microsoft Domain, the Microsoft Domain name itself, and the exact URL being invoked.
- Run the Collector Tool which is located in the profile_home/bin directory on both Network Deployment (for federated environment only) and base Application Server profiles.
For a listing of all technotes, downloads, and educational materials specific to the Security component, search the WebSphere Application Server support site.
|Application Servers||WebSphere Application Server - Express||Security||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows||6.1|
|Application Servers||Runtimes for Java Technology||Java SDK|
More support for:
WebSphere Application Server
Software version: 7.0, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Software edition: Base, Express, Network Deployment
Reference #: 1255030
Modified date: 30 November 2007
Translate this page: