Looking for ways to simplify software support, reduce support costs and improve your ability to resolve software problems in-house quickly? If so, we invite you to explore the newest features in IBM Support Assistant.
Announcing ISA 4.0
IBM Support Assistant V4.0 was released on March 27, 2008 with a host of new features and enhancements in addition to what was delivered in ISA V3.x.
IBM Support Assistant version 4.0 enhancements include:
- Remote System Troubleshooting
- Activity-based Workflow
- Case Management
- Improved Ease of Use
For more information, please visit the IBM Support Assistant website.
What is IBM Support Assistant 3.x?
The IBM Support Assistant is part of a IBM Software Group cross-brand (Information Management, Lotus, Rational, Tivoli, WebSphere) initiative, to improve customer self-help experience. It is a free local software serviceability workbench that helps you resolve questions and problems with IBM software products. It provides quick access to support-related information along with serviceability tools for problem determination.
ISA V3.1 is now available. This release includes a notification mechanism to let you know when plug-in updates are available. Also included as a separately installable product is Electronic Service Agent (ESA). ESA allows you to quickly gather information about software installed on your systems to help with faster support. For more information on ESA, please visit the Electronic Services website.
How can ISA help?
Get Started! Cross brand solution in one place.
You can find a copy of ISA here. ISA uses the Eclipse technology to allow all IBM Software brands to add in necessary contents for their specific products. Once you've installed ISA, look for the IBM product that you are working with via the ISA Update function. See a quick demo here. This will add content you need to your ISA workbench.
Looking for information? Get it all in one place.
How often do you find yourself not being able to find that essential piece of information about an IBM product? ISA can help!
- Search across all IBM documentation. With IBM Support Assistant, you will be able to get to the information you need quickly. ISA provides a quick access through its concurrent Search tool that spans across the bulk of IBM documentation and returns the results categorized by source for easy review. A demo can be found here.
- Key product Information: In addition to the Search, ISA provides a product information feature that has key product information links that are essential to self-help. A demo can be found here .
Unable to solve your problem? Want it answered faster?
Looking for ways to solve your problem faster? Self-help or otherwise, ISA can help with the time to problem resolution and managing your PMRs!
- Free diagnostic tools! Included in ISA is a new Tool workbench that provides you with the problem determination tools that IBM Support uses to resolve issues. Ongoing, different product teams will make more and more tools available for ISA's tools framework in order to enable you to perform problem determination on your desktop. Here is a demo on how to install and use plug-able tool.
- Collect data that support needs! The Service feature included data collectors that provides the unique ability to collect specific information relating to a particular problem that you are having. Simply attach this file with your PMR report and submit! Here is a demo of ISA's data collection capabilities. If you only need to use the data collector itself, here is a demo that shows how this can be done.
- Open and manage your PMRs: Another aspect of the Service feature is the problem submission tool. This allows you to enter your entitlement information once and have it saved for future sessions. You can then easily create a problem report for IBM and attach the collector file at the same time. See how to do that here. Simple to do and yet extremely helpful for expediting a solution back from IBM.
What's new for version 3.x?
The IBM Support Assistant v3.x is a significant release and contains several significant improvements over ISA V2. Here are some:
- More product plug-ins with all five IBM Software brands represented.
- Improved symptom based data collection.
- More product information skills and roadmap links.
- New pluggable tools framework.
- New update manager to easily update and install ISA plug-ins and tools.
- Re-designed user interface for more intuitive user experience.
- SOCKS proxy support.
- Build-in installer.
- V3.0.2 - Major performance enhancement with the updater.
The IBM Support Assistant V3.1 is the newest release. For existing users of ISA V3.0.2, you will need to download ISA V3.1 from the ISA site and install it. The update can not be done through the ISA Update function. The installation will automatically uninstall ISA V3.0.x, and move the existing plug-ins that you use to the new version of ISA installed.
AIX V5L, HP-UX 11.x, Red Hat Linux, Solaris (Sun Microsystems), Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP.