MustGather documents aid in problem determination and save time resolving Problem Management Records (PMRs).
Resolving the problem
Collecting MustGather data early, even before opening the PMR, helps IBM® Support quickly determine if:
- Symptoms match known problems (rediscovery).
- There is a non-defect problem that can be identified and resolved.
- There is a defect that identifies a workaround to reduce severity.
- Locating root cause can speed development of a code fix.
MustGather: Readme first table of contents:
|Gathering general information|
|Submitting information to IBM Support|
Gathering general information:
- Copy the version of Apache Geronimo, as well as list of installed patches into a text file.
- Locate the InstallDir/var/log/server-log4j.properties file. Set the value of log4j.rootCategory to "DEBUG, CONSOLE, FILE".
- If you are experiencing a problem in a specific component, locate the related LOG4J categories in InstallDir/var/log/server-log4j.properties file, then set appropriate log level to generate output that shows where the problem occurs.
Note: By default, all the categories have the "WARN" log level. Typically, changing the log level to "DEBUG" will provide useful information for problem determination.
- Restart the Application Server and recreate the problem.
- If there is a testcase application, deploy the testcase application on to the server and collect the expanded application folders in InstallDir/repository, after recreating the scenario.
Note: There is no InstallDir/config-store/index.properties file in the version 1.1 of Apache Geronimo. When a J2EE™ application archive is deployed on to the server, the deployer will expand the archive into InstallDir/repository/groupId/artifactId/version folder and deploy it. The groupId, artifactId and version are the values of module configuration elements in geronimo plan of J2EE™ application archive.
If there is no geronimo plan for the application, server generates a module configuration for the application and displays it on console during deployment. Locate the expanded folders for the application in InstallDir/repository using the module configuration values generated.
- Collect the following data:
- Bundle the above information. We suggest using zip or tar.
- If the problem being experienced is related to start-up of the server, set the appropriate log levels by following Steps 1 to 3 and restart the server to collect the logs mentioned in the Step 6. Finally, follow the link at the bottom of this technote to submit the collected logs to Support team.
It is necessary to open a PMR before sending information to IBM Support. If a PMR is already open, update the PMR after sending information.
Follow directions for Submit diagnostic information to IBM Support.
Tip to save you time:
If you open and update your PMRs electronically, using ESR, update the PMR to indicate that data has been sent.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.