This technote identifies troubleshooting steps you can use to resolve the error 2203 An internal error has occurred, when creating an IBM® Rational® Suite® Release Area for the first time.
The full error message is as follows:
Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. \\servername\enterprise\DISK1\WsbuEnterprise.msi,
This error might be caused by permissions, installation configuration, or download extraction method.
Resolving the problem
For instruction on how to create a release are please refer to the "IBM Rational Server Products Installation Guide" page 99 - 103
Confirm these steps below have been followed for the creation of a release area on the server that the release area will be going on.
- Delete anything that may have already been in place on this server such as downloads you may have modified in this attempt to create the release area, or any directories that may have also been created in the unpacking process.
- Download the IBM Rational Suites Enterprise zip file again from the website and do not change the name that is provided from the website, and save it to the root drive that the release area will be created on.
- Once downloaded to the root of the drive, right-click on the zip file and extract it using the default name given to the zip file from the website, using the compressing application. Do not drag and drop the files out of the release area.
- Share out the default directory using standard sharing methods (not using administrative shares).
For Example: $, or hidden shares (C$, D$) Also, make sure that the user account that will be creating this release area has full permission's.
- From a different workstation, connect to the share and run setup.exe to create the release area. Setup your release area in the direction you need for network deployment, or just install to that single machine if you are doing this for demonstration, single system setup, or testing purposes.
Note: Following these steps will rule out many known issues during installations and setup of release areas. Also, this will improve many performance issues. Below are additional steps to look at if problems persist.
- Make sure to point the download to the root of the desired hard drive (not to a network share, or network storage appliance for example: NetApp)
- Make sure you can connect to the share logged onto the actual machine (not remoting to the machine via remote connection agents such as Microsoft® Windows® Remote Desktop, Microsoft Windows Terminal Services, RealVNC, Symantec’s PC Anywhere, VPNlabs, Citrix) and run setup.exe in the newly created share of your IBM Rational product.
- Connect from another machine with administrative rights and try from there, thus ruling out a restriction from the server, or workstation the release area is trying to be created on.
- See if you can create a release area on the machine with out using UNC pathing as a test. This rules out file and download/extraction corruption.