How to manually uninstall ClearCase on Windows
How do you completely remove the IBM Rational ClearCase product from a Microsoft Windows host, including directory trees and registry entries?
The automated uninstall may not remove all entries on the machine. These instructions provide a way to find and remove all entries to ensure nothing remains.
This procedure outlines the necessary steps to completely remove ClearCase from the Windows operating system:
1. Uninstall ClearCase using the Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Start > (Settings) > Control Panel
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs
- Select Rational ClearCase from the list of programs and click OK.
- Choose Remove the Existing Installation option, click OK, and follow the instructions in the subsequent dialogues.
As an alternative to using the graphical interface for the uninstall, refer to the Command Line Uninstall section at the bottom of this technote for instructions on performing the uninstall from a command line.
Note 1: It is not necessary to have the IBM Rational ClearCase Installation CD to uninstall the software from your network, if you have installed from a release area. You will need the CD if you have installed from a CD.
Note 2: If running Windows 2003 and attempting to uninstall 2002.05 (which is not supported), the uninstall will fail. Skip to step 2. The services normally removed by the usual uninstall will be removed in step 3.
2. Remove the ClearCase Release Area and the installation directory tree (by default C:\Program Files\Rational\ClearCase). Also, remove the mvfsXX.sys file (such as mvfs40.sys or mvfs50.sys, ...) which is located in <Windows install directory>\System 32\drivers
Note: If other Rational products are installed, be sure you only remove the ClearCase directory.
3. After completing steps #1 and #2, ensure that the following registry keys have been removed (if you wish to be thorough).
This solution contains information about modifying the system registry. Before making any modifications to the Microsoft Registry Editor, it is strongly recommended that you make a backup of the existing registry. For more information describing how to back up the registry, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 256986
Verify that these keys have been removed by the uninstall and, if not, remove them.
Note: The above keys may also be found in the following locations as well.
Note: The following items under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services should not be removed if other Rational Products are installed.
- IBMHTTPServer6.0 - (ClearCase 7.0 only)
- Rational_Web_Platform - (ClearCase 2003.06.00 only)
- Rational_Web_Platform_Tomcat - (ClearCase 2003.06.00 only)
- Rational_Web_Platform_Tomcat_ReqWeb - (ClearCase 2003.06.00 only)
Note: If the ClearCase program is not removed from the Add or Remove Programs list in the Control Panel, the following registry keys will clear this item:
Additional Registry Keys (7.0)
Additional Registry Keys (2003.06.00)
To perform an uninstall from the command line, use the following syntax:
msiexec.exe /X path/clearcase.msi /qn
- path is the path to a file (clearcase.msi), found in your network wide release area in the Setup directory, used by ClearCase during installation
- /X indicates that an uninstall operation is executed
- /qn indicates that no user interface is displayed during the uninstall operation.
Note: If you want this uninstall to be silent, you can place this in a text file, rename it .bat and have the user run it.
Manually uninstall ClearCase on HP-UX
Manually uninstall ClearCase on AIX
Manually uninstall ClearCase on Solaris
TOC: ClearCase Matrices and Support Policies
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Manually uninstall ClearCase on Linux
Manually uninstall ClearCase 7.1 on Windows