Databases other than Domino mail files can be taken offline via Domino Off-Line Services (DOLS). How is this done?
As the Domino 6.x Designer Help documentation states, DOLS provides a way for users to take Domino 6.x Web applications offline, work in them, and synchronize the changes with an online replica on the Domino server. A Notes Client is not needed.
The developer and administrator must set up and configure a DOLS subscription for offline use. And the developer must copy a number of elements into the subscription, make design changes if necessary, and configure the subscription in the Offline Subscription Configuration Profile document. Instructions are in the Domino 6.x Designer help, and have also been added below.
Note: Please refer to the Domino 6.x Designer Help documentation for more thorough instructions that the application developer and Domino administrator must follow in order to set up the DOLS subscription/database properly.
Copying DOLS design elements into the main database
You must copy several design elements from DOLRES.NTF into the main database of your subscription. The database you choose should be the first database the user sees when opening the subscription. To copy the elements:
1. Open the main database of the subscription. Even if the subscription has multiple databases, copy DOLS design elements only into the main database.
2. Open DOLRES.NTF (the DOLS Resource template). DOLRES.NTF is in the Domino Data directory.
3. Copy the following pages from DOLRES.NTF into your database:
- DOLS Request Offline ID. This is a hidden page. Do not do anything else to it.
- One of the following:
DOLS Web Control. This page loads ActiveX and/or plug-ins that enable "Go offline" and "Go Online" menu items in the database. You must either choose this design element or the "DOLS Load Download Page" as a way for users to download the subscription. For more information on downloading the subscription, see the topic "Customizing how users install the DOLS subscription.
DOLS Load Download Page. If you prefer to use an icon instead of the DOLS Web Control in your subscription, use this page. For more information on downloading the subscription, see the topic "Customizing how users install the DOLS subscription."
- (Optional) DOLS Web Control Bitmaps. Copy this page if you want to change the default bitmaps built into the DOLS Web Control. For more information on downloading the subscription, see the topic "Customizing how users install the DOLS subscription."
4. Copy the "DOLS Offline Configuration" form from DOLRES.NTF into the Domino subscription. This form contains the Offline Subscription Configuration Profile form. Every DOLS subscription must contain this form.
5. Copy the "Edit Offline Configuration" agent from DOLRES.NTF into the subscription. This agent allows you to create an Offline Subscription Configuration Profile document.
Note: Do not copy the agent named "Delete Configuration Document." Deleting an Offline Subscription Configuration Profile document may cause problems for a subscription. The Delete agent is included in this template for unusual circumstances only, such as a failed upgrade.
6. Copy the following subforms from DOLRES.NTF into the Domino subscription:
- DOLS Configuration Settings. This is a table of Offline Subscription Configuration Profile document fields. Do not modify this subform. Because this form inherits its design changes from DOLRES.NTF, any changes you make may be overwritten.
- DOLS Customize. Use this subform to customize the configuration document. This is the only subform that you should modify and you can leave it hidden or make it visible. You can create fields and modify fields dynamically in other subforms. For more information on using the Customize subform, see the topic "Customizing fields and design elements in a DOLS subscription.".
- DOLS Download Instructions. This subform contains the default text that the user sees when a subscription is installed. Do not modify this subform.