This technote explains a possible resolution to an error that can occur when using the IBM® Rational® ClearQuest® Import Tool to import record data. This error can occur if blank columns from Microsoft® Excel® were exported into the comma-delimited ASCII text file that is being used by the ClearQuest Import Tool.
This could also occur if the records were modified in Microsoft Excel with a macro that places double-quotes around each value.
Resolving the problem
To resolve this error, try the following steps:
- Delete any extra blank columns in Excel.
- Create a new comma-delimited ASCII text file.
- Open the text file in Microsoft Windows Notepad, or another ASCII text editor.
Note: Do not use Microsoft Word or WordPad, as they will add control characters that can cause further problems.
- Scroll to the last column of the first line listing the field names. None of them should appear as being blank ("").
- Retry the new ClearQuest import file.