IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) Server/Client Compatibility and Upgrade Considerations
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) Client-Server Compatibility for Clients and Servers
The following TSM client and server combinations are compatible. All other combinations are not supported.
The functionality in the lowest version and release is supported in that compatible combination, for as long as the lowest version and release is in regular support.
TIVOLI STORAGE MANAGER CLIENT COMPATIBILITY
includes the Backup-Archive, API, UNIX HSM, and Web clients
that are compatible with, and currently supported with,
Tivoli Storage Manager Servers and Storage Agents.
Tivoli Storage Manager
Compatible Tivoli Storage Manager
Server and Storage Agent Versions
7.1 and 6.3.x 1
7.1 and 6.3.x 1
7.1 and 6.3.x 1
Link to Storage-Agent and Library-Client compatibility page:
Link to Operations Center-Server Compatibility page:
Link to Administration Center-Server Compatibility page:
Link to the Operating System Overview page for client and servers on all supported TSM releases:
Link to the Client Functionality Compatibility page:
Upgrading to Version 7.1
Upgrading from 5.5, 6.1, or 6.2, which are End of Support
Upgrading from Version 6.3 or 6.4 to Version 7.1
As part of a migration plan from Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) Version 6.3 or 6.4 to TSM Version 7.1, TSM clients and servers can be upgraded at different times. This configuration is supported as long as the older version is supported.
When upgrading from a Version 6.x server to a Version 7.1 server, follow this link for more detailed information: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itsm.srv.install.doc%2Ft_srv_upgrade.html
To help prevent disruption to your backup and archive activities during the migration, follow these guidelines:
- A TSM 6.3 or 6.4 client can perform backup, restore, archive, retrieve, and query functions to a TSM 7.1 server
- A TSM 7.1 client can perform backup, restore, archive, retrieve, and query functions to a TSM 6.2 or 6.3.x server
- If you back up or archive data from a TSM 6.4 or 6.3 or earlier client to a supported TSM server, you can restore or retrieve that data using a TSM 7.1 client
- If you back up or archive data from a TSM 7.1 client to a supported TSM server, you cannot restore or retrieve that data using a TSM 6.4 or earlier client.
- All TSM 7.1 administrative clients can administer TSM 6.2 and 6.3.x servers
- NAS backups performed on a TSM 7.1 server using the BACKUP NODE server command can only be restored using the RESTORE NODE server command or a TSM 6.3, 6.4, or 7.1 client
Note: the TSM server is shipped at the V6.3.3 level with TSM 6.4
Upgrading from Version 5.5, 6.1, or 6.2 (which are EOS) to Version 6.x :
Version 5.5 and Version 6.1 have reached End of Support. Upgrading from a Version 5.x server to a Version 6.x server is significantly different than previous upgrades. Please follow this link for more detailed information you need to know before upgrading your 5.5 server:
Version 5.5, 6.1, and 6.2 clients can be upgraded to any higher 6.x or 7.1 level, as long as the operating system is supported at that higher level.
Note that all UNIX and Linux clients at Version 6.3 and higher are 64-bit. 32-bit Version 5.5, 6.1, and 6.2 UNIX and Linux clients must be uninstalled before installing the equivalent Version 6.3 or higher 64-bit clients.
Overiew TSM Supported Operating Systems
Latest Server and Client Downloads
TSM 5.5 and 6.1 EOS Announcement
TSM 6.2 EOS 30 April 2015
TSM 5.5 and 6.1 Compatibility (now EOS)
TSM 6.2 Compatibility (now EOS)
Storage Agent and Library Client Compatibility
Operations Center Compatibility
Administration Center Compatibility
HSM for Windows Compatibility
TSM Featured Documents