IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT) v8.0 offers multiple functional capabilities that simplify the task of maintaining IBM tape products.
The IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool is designed to:
- Be simply installed and handled.
- Run quick or extended diagnostics on tape drives to check if the tape device is defective and output a pass/fail result.
- Invoke tape library self-test operations.
- Retrieve dumps from tape drives and libraries.
- Perform firmware update check and retrieval for tape drives and libraries.
- Perform a firmware update on tape drives or libraries.
- Test the performance of the environment by completely writing a cartridge and measuring performance.
- Verify tape drive compression.
- Measure system performance per system test.
- Retrieve and display cartridge usage and health information.
- Verify the encryption environment.
- Scan the system to discover all supported tape and library devices and show the results in an overview.
- Perform a connection test.
- Perform a full write function
- Migration/Duplication of IBM Tape Drive Cartridge content using physical copy operations including LTFS awareness.
- Visualize IBM Tape Drive and IBM Tape Library dump and log files.
- Perform task automation using the ITDT scripting interface.
- Configure drive parameters as for example TCP/IP settings.
- Work without tape device driver.
IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT) is available in two versions. The Standard Edition (ITDT-SE) is a command line version and it is available for most major platforms (Windows, AIX, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, Mac OS X, I5/OS). The Graphical Edition (ITDT-GE) provides a graphical user interface and is bundled with a dedicated Java Virtual Machine. This version is available on Windows and Linux (X86 and X86_64). For a list of supported platforms and detailed documentation of the the IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool, please refer to the IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide in chapter IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT).
The IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool incorporated the original “IBM Tapeutil” and offers a common interface on all platforms for the Tapeutil-interactive and -scripting functions.
Note: The term tapeutil is a synonym for the tool that was delivered with the device driver. ITDT supports and and replaces the tape utility program (tapeutil) provided by the IBM Tape Device Driver.
Instructions for ITDT can be found in the IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide in chapter "IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool(ITDT)."
The following equipment is supported for both the Standard Edition (ITDT-SE) and he Graphical Edition (ITDT-GE):
- IBM Ultrium 3580 Tape Drive (Generation 3, 4, 5 and 6)
- IBM Ultrium Tape Drives T800/F, T800V, T1600/F, T3000V/P
- IBM System Storage 3588/TS1030 model F3A and F3B Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage 3588/TS1040 model F4A Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage 3588/TS1050 model F5A Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage 3580 Half Height/TS2230 and TS2240 Tape Drive Express
- IBM System Storage TS2250 Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage TS2260 Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage TS2340 Tape Drive Express
- IBM System Storage TS2350 Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage TS2360 Tape Drive
- IBM System Storage 3592/TS1120/TS1130/TS1140 Enterprise Tape System
- IBM System Storage 3572/TS2900 Tape Library Express
- IBM System Storage 3573/TS3100 and TS3200 Tape Library Express
- IBM System Storage 3576/TS3310 Tape Library
- IBM System Storage 3577/TS3400 Tape Library
- IBM System Storage 3584/TS3500 Tape Library
The Installation and Usage Instructions are explained in detail in the ITDT documentation can be found in the chapter "IBM Tape diagnostic Tool (ITDT)" of the IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide.
For the Standard Edition, no additional install of the Test Tool is required, once the program file has been extracted from the archive it can be executed immediately.
The Graphical Edition is bundled with a dedicated Java Virtual Machine.
The installation of the IBM tape Device Driver is not required in order to use ITDT. Contact IBM Technical Support if help is needed.
The legacy Tape Products (3580 GEN1 and GEN2, 3581, 3582, and 3583 Products) are not supported with this version of ITDT but are still supported with the older version of ITDT v1.2. See link below if needed.
|ITDT v1.2 for legacy Tape Products||English||1|
|IBM Tape Device Driver IUG||English||1|
How to obtain ITDT
IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool is available to download at IBM's new Fix Central web site. If using this link you will just need to choose your platform and press continue. Check the box next to the correct version and click continue. On the next page you can start downloading ITDT.
If the Fix Central Link above does not work then go to:
http://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral and select the following options:
Product Group = Storage Systems
Product Family = Tape Systems
Product Type = Tape device drivers and software
Product = Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT)
Select the platform needed and press continue.
Select the appropriate box for the version desired and click continue.
On the next page you can start downloading ITDT.
In addition to the installation file, a README file is provided. This Readme only contains issues and limitations that did not make it into the IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool documentation.
You can resolve most IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT) problems using the procedures in the IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide in the chapter "IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool (ITDT)". However, if the problem persists after following these procedures, it is possible that an unexpected condition occurred in the ITDT environment. In this case, contact your IBM® service representative (1-800-IBM-SERV) and provide the following information to help IBM re-create and resolve the problem:
1. Machine type and model of your IBM System Storage™ Tape Product
2. Specific ITDT version
3. Description of the problem
4. System configuration
5. Operation that was performed at the time the problem was encountered
NOTE: Customer written code is the responsibility of the customer.