This document provides the steps to perform a SLIP installation of the License Internal Code from tape or CD. This will cover all releases up through V7R1 with few differences.
Resolving the problem
This document provides the steps to perform a SLIP installation of the License Internal Code from tape, DVD or image catalog. This will cover all releases up through V7R1 with few differences. We will not cover setup of the HMC or other configuration issues. This document will cover the basic steps to select an alternate installation device and the steps to perform the SLIP installation.
|1.||If installing from tape, you should ensure that you have your save tape with license Internal code loaded into the tape drive. To verify the tape has Licensed Internal Code on it (which is saved with the SAVSYS command), do a DSPTAP DEV(TAPXX) DATA(*LABELS). If Licensed Internal Code is saved to tape, the first label will be QFILEIML.|
|2.||If installing from DVD, you should ensure that your I_BASE_01 DVD is loaded into the correct optical drive.|
|3.||If installing from image catalog, you must have at least the "I_BASE_01" and the "B_GROUPx_01" loaded into the image catalog. This is due to the fact that the system will attempt to verify the image catalog on the power down command. If the OS image is not loaded into the image catalog, the verify will fail and prevent the PWRDWNSYS from completing successfully.|
If you are using an alternate installation device (cannot IPL directly from media), make sure you have your I_Base_01 disc loaded as well.
Set your system to 'D' Manual mode either from the front panel (stand-alone system) or from the HMC, and then perform an IPL. If you have access to the command line, ensure the system is in manual mode and enter one of the two following commands to power the system down and IPL off of the proper source:
For Tape and DVD: PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D) For Image Catalog: PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(*IMGCLG) IMGCLG(catalog-name)
If the alternate device has already been configured or your using an image catalog to SLIP, the LIC will automatically install. Once it is complete, you will select Option 1 "Perform an IPL" from IPL or Install the System menu.
Otherwise, you will need to select an alternate IPL device, following the steps below.
1. If the language feature below is correct, press Enter:
2. Press Enter to confirm your language feature:
3. If you are using an alternate installation device, select Option 3 to Define alternate Installation device and press Enter. Otherwise, go to Step 13:
4. On this screen, select the bus that has your tape drive attached and press Enter. If you are not sure, you will need to look on each one to find the appropriate tape device. If you have access to your system prior to the SLIP installation, you can determine which bus the tape drive is on and the serial number of the drive by running the following command: DSPHDWRSC TYPE(*STG) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
5. Select Tape or Optical as your alternate installation device:
6. Select your device, and press Enter. The type, model, and serial number are displayed:
7. Notice that your device is selected. Press F3 to Exit. The alternate installation device is selected:
8. If you selected to install from an alternate installation device, you will see this confirmation screen. Press Enter to continue if it is correct:
9. Select Option 1 to Install License Internal Code:
10. Select Option 1 to Restore Licensed Internal Code. Select no other option:
11. The status bar will be displayed as follows:
12. The status bar will show the percent complete:
13. After the Licensed Internal Code has reached 100%, the system will automatically perform an IPL on the A side, and you will be taken to the IPL or Install the Operating System screen. At this point, the License Internal Code has been SLIP installed, and you can choose one of these options:
Note: If you will continue to slip the Operating System, refer to Tech Doc N1012771, Steps to SLIP Install the Operating System .