This document will give you the steps to perform a SLIP installation of the License Internal Code from tape or CD. This will cover all releases up through V7R1 with few differences. We will not cover setup of the HMC or other configuration issues. This document will cover the basic steps to select an alternate installation device and the steps to perform the SLIP installation.
1. If installing from tape, make sure you have your save tape with license Internal code loaded into the tape drive. To verify the tape has Licensed Internal Code on it (which is saved with the SAVSYS command), do a DSPTAP DEV(TAPXX) DATA(*LABELS). If Licensed Internal Code is saved to tape, the first label will be QFILEIML .
Note: Replace TAPXX with the appropriate tape device.
If installing from disc, then make sure that your I_BASE_01 disc is loaded into the correct optical drive.
2. If you are using an alternate installation device (cannot IPL directly from media), make sure you have your I_Base_01 disc loaded as well.
3. Set your system to 'D' Manual mode either from the front panel (stand-alone system) or from the HMC, and then perform an IPL. If you have access to the command line, ensure the system is in manual mode and issue command PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D) .
4. Below is the first screen you should come to:
5. If the language feature above is correct, press Enter.
6. Press Enter to confirm your language feature.
7. If you are using an alternate installation device, select Option 3 from the screen above and press Enter. Otherwise, go to Step 12.
8. On this screen, select the bus that has your tape drive attached and press Enter. If you are not sure, you will need to look on each one to find the appropriate tape device. If you have access to your system prior to the SLIP installation, you can determine which bus the tape drive is on and the serial number of the drive by running the following command:
DSPHDWRSC TYPE(*STG) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
9. Select tape or optical as your alternate installation device.
10. Select your device, and press Enter. It shows the type, model, and serial number.
11. Notice that your device is selected. Press F3 to exit. You have now selected your alternate installation device.
12. Select Option 1 to install License Internal Code.
13. If you selected to install from an alternate installation device, you will see this screen. Press Enter to continue if it is correct.
14. Select Option 1 to Restore License Internal Code. Select no other option.
15. You will get the status bar.
16. After the Licensed Internal Code has reached 100%, the system will automatically perform an IPL on the A side and you will be taken to the IPL or Install the Operating System screen. At this point, the License Internal Code has been SLIP installed, and you can choose one of these options.
Note: If you will continue to slip the Operating System, refer to Rochester Support Center knowledgebase document 534393347, Steps to SLIP Install the Operating System: .
System i Support
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.