Upgrade ZVM640, Subset CP:
This subset contains installation information for z/VM - CP
Version 6, Release 4, Modification 0.
1. 17/11/07 INSTALLATION INFORMATION
2. YY/MM/DD DOCUMENTATION CHANGES NO ENTRIES
3. 17/09/19 GENERAL INFORMATION
4. 17/04/28 SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS SEE 1701RSU
5. YY/MM/DD CROSS PRODUCT DEPENDENCIES NO ENTRIES
DATE APAR PTF VOLID COMMENTS
1. YY/MM/DD XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXX XXX
This section contains changes to the product's Program Directory.
and additional information which should be review before installing
the product. Please note the additional APARs required for older
z/VM releases when they are members of a mixed environment SSI cluster.
8. 17/11/07 z/VM Product Deliverable refreshed for z14
The z/VM V6 R4.0 product deliverable was refreshed to
support installation on the z14 processor. If you have
already ordered z/VM V6 R4.0 but have not yet installed it
IBM recommends that you reorder the product and use the new
deliverable when installing a new system or upgrading from
z/VM V6 R2.0 or z/VM V6 R3.0.
7. 16/11/22 Additional RACF requirements:
The PTF for APAR VM65923 provides infrastructure support
in z/VM V6.2, V6.3, and V6.4 for a future RACF enhancement
in z/VM 6.4, and must be installed on all the members of an
SSI cluster before any z/VM 6.4 member will be running with
the future RACF enhancement.
6. 16/11/18 Traditional install: IPWIZARD
Before attempting to use the IPWIZARD utility to
configure basic TCP/IP settings for a newly-installed
system, please see the Installation information in
the TCPIP PSP bucket for 640 (Upgrade TCPIP640,
Subset VM640 at URL:
and follow the instructions it provides.
5. 16/11/11 Upgrade Installation: Upgrading local modifications
During Stage 1 of the Upgrade Installation procedure any
local modifications on your current system should be
copied to the new release local modification disks. If
your local modifications are described in local
modification Version Vector Tables (VVTs) with a
filetype starting with VVTLCL, they will be copied to
the local modification disks (or SFS directories) for
the new release by the automated procedure. However,
local modifications that are described in VVTs with
a different filetype are not copied automatically. You
must copy those files to the new release disks at the
end of Stage 1 and then rework them as necessary
4. 16/11/11 Upgrade Installation: Required service before upgrade
Before starting an upgrade installation to z/VM V6 R4.0
ensure that the following service is installed on your
z/VM V6 R2.0 or z/VM V6 R3.0 system(s).
For z/VM V6 R2.0:
o APAR VM65297 for DirMaint FL 620 (if DirMaint enabled)
o APAR VM65718 for LE 6.2.0
For z/VM V6 R3.0:
o APAR VM65718 for LE 6.2.0
3. 16/11/11 Upgrade Installation: Supported hardware considerations
For z/VM V6R4.0, the z10 processor is not a supported
environment. The hardware location of your LPAR should
be taken into consideration when upgrading to z/VM
Non SSI: You cannot upgrade a system that is running on
unsupported hardware. You must IPL the system you wish
to upgrade on a supported processor before beginning
the upgrade installation procedure.
SSI: If any member of a multi-member SSI cluster is
running on unsupported hardware, that member cannot be
upgraded until it is IPLed on hardware that is supported
for z/VM V6 R4.0. Additionally, in order to upgrade any
members that are running on supported hardware, the
relocation domain for the MIGMAINT user on the system
you are upgrading must be limited to just the system or
systems that are running on supported hardware. To
modify the relocation domain for MIGMAINT, do the
1) Log on to MIGMAINT on the system you are going to
upgrade (MIGMAINT should have Class A privileges)
2) Enter the following command:
SET VMRELOCATE MIGMAINT DOMAIN <systemname>
where <systemname> is the name of the system you
2. 16/11/11 620 APARS required for a mixed release environment.
Before installing a 640 system in a 620 SSI cluster
or upgrading a member of a multi-member 620 SSI cluster
see the z/VM Program Directory, section 18.104.22.168.1.
1. 16/11/07 z/VM PTF and hardware bundle information:
1) The z/VM V6.4 base components have the following
additional program requirements:
- The PTF for APAR VM65207 must be applied to z/VM V6.2
or z/VM V6.3 when z/VM V6.4 is a guest of either release
and will host a MACHINE Z guest.
- If you intend to exploit HyperPAV paging from z/VM V6.4
running as a guest of z/VM V6.3, you need to apply the
PTF for APAR VM65748 to the z/VM V6.3 first level system.
- The PTF for APAR VM65976 provides infrastructure support
in z/VM V6.2, V6.3, and V6.4 for a future IBM z Systems
server that satisfies the statement of direction for the
removal of ESA/390 architecture support, and must be
installed on all the members of an SSI cluster before any
member will be running in the new server.
- The PTF for APAR VM65867 is required on all z/VM V6.2
and V6.3 systems in an SSI cluster that includes a z/VM
2) Dynamic Partition Manager (DPM), provided with IBM z13
z13S, and LinuxONE servers, is extended to support Linux
running on z/VM V6.4 with SCSI storage attached with FCP
channels. z/VM 6.4 is supported in a DPM configuration
with Driver 27 bundle S31.
3) z/VM 6.4 supports guest exploitation of the
Transactional Execution (TX) facility on the IBM z13,
z13S, zEC12, zBC12, and LinuxONE servers with the
following bundles applied:
- Driver D27 bundle S17
- Driver D22 bundle S45
- Driver D15 bundle 71
This section outlines major errors in the product's published
1. YY/MM/DD NO ENTRIES
This section contains general information, i.e. SYSGEN hints/tips.
1. 17/09/19 For EAV (extended address volume) support there are thre
distinct PTFs to order:
- UM35187 for CP
- UM35204 for CMS
- UI49579 for ICKDSF
When ordering thes PTFs we recommend that you request
requisites back to the 1301 service level. This will
ensure you not encounter missing requisites for the
application of the ICKDSF PTF.
1. 17/04/28 REFER TO 1701RSU
This section contains information that is dependent upon another
product other than this subset ID. It also contains information
dealing with migration and product coexistance.
1. YY/MM/DD INTERDEPENDENT PRODUCT:
RECOMMENDATION: INSTALL XXXXXXX ON VOLID XXXX
PTF Include List
PTF Exclude List
PE APAR List