Requirements: SysBack V6.1 Integration with IBM Spectrum Protect Features
Preventive Service Planning
This document provides information about the IBM Spectrum Protect for System Backup and Recovery SysBack's (SysBack) V6.1 requirements for integration with IBM Spectrum Protect.
Tip: The product now known as IBM Spectrum Protect™ was named IBM Tivoli®Storage Manager in releases earlier than Version 7.1.3. To learn more about the rebranding transition, seetechnote 1963634.
- A previously configured Spectrum Protect server must be at level 5.4.0 or later
- The 32-bit IBM Spectrum Protect API client must be installed and at level 5.4.0 or later
NOTE: Required for SysBack (6.1.0 - 6.1.2)
- The 64-bit IBM Spectrum Protect API client must be installed
NOTE: Required for SysBack (6.1.3+) For more information on requirements see link:
IBM Spectrum Protect Client API Support Matrix.
- The IBM Spectrum Protect node name used for SysBack backups must be registered on the IBM Spectrum Protect server and configured to use the PASSWORDACCESS generate option.
- Only JFS and JFS2 file systems are supported for all of the SysBack backup types
- The SysBack File or Directory backup type can also be used to backup CD-ROM and NFS file systems
- Complete all backup, restore, list, verify, and query operations as the root user
- SysBack backups should not be used to backup IBM Spectrum Protect HSM managed file systems. You will need to explicitly specify any HSM managed file system in the SysBack exclude list. For detailed information on SysBack exclude lists, refer to Chapter 11, “Exclude Lists,” on page 145 of the SysBack Installation and User's Guide.
Note: Using SysBack to back up HSM managed file systems will cause all of the migrated data to be recalled for the backup operation. This could cause lengthy backup times. Also, there might not be enough space in the file system to recall all of the migrated data. Use the IBM Spectrum Protect backup-archive client to backup HSM managed file systems instead.
- LAN Free backups are not supported
- COMMMethod TCPIP is the only supported IBM Spectrum Protect communication method
- GPFS file systems are not supported by SysBack
Note: The IBM Spectrum Protect backup-archive client supports the backup of GPFS file systems.
- Veritas (VxFS) file systems are not supported by SysBack
- AFS and DFS file system structures can not be recreated from backups. If the root user has the appropriate AFS or DFS permissions, then SysBack can backup the data.
Note: The IBM Spectrum Protect backup-archive client might support the backup of AFS and DFS file systems.
- Compression should not be set from within the SysBack backup commands when the backup destination is a IBM Spectrum Protect server. Compression of data is controlled through IBM Spectrum Protect configuration options.
- Files, directories, file systems, or logical volumes that you would like excluded from SysBack backup processing must be defined in the SysBack exclude list. IBM Spectrum Protect exclude processing does not apply to SysBack backup processing. For detailed information on SysBack exclude lists, prefer to Chapter 11, “Exclude Lists,” on page 145 of the SysBack Installation and User's Guide.
The hardware and operating system requirements for storing SysBack backups in an IBM Spectrum Protect server are the same as for the base product. The following additional requirements are specific to interactions with an IBM Spectrum Protect server:
The following limitations and exclusions apply to interaction with IBM Spectrum Protect:
Translate this page: