Preventive Service Planning
This document provides information that describes IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for System Backup and Recovery SysBack's (SysBack) V6.1 requirements for integration with Tivoli Storage Manager.
The hardware and operating system requirements for storing SysBack backups into a Tivoli Storage Manager server are the same as the base product. The following additional requirements are specific to interactions with Tivoli Storage Manager:
- A previously configured Tivoli Storage Manager server must be at level 5.4.0 or higher
- The 32-bit TSM API client must be installed and at level 5.4.0 or higher
NOTE: Required for SysBack (6.1.0 - 6.1.2)
- The 64 bit TSM API client must be installed
NOTE: Required for SysBack (6.1.3+)
For more information on requirements see link:
- When combining TSM B/A Client backups with SysBack boot and installation processing, you must use a 5.4.0 or higher version of the TSM Backup/Archive client.
- The Tivoli Storage Manager node name used for SysBack backups must be registered on the Tivoli Storage Manager server and configured to use the passwordaccess generate option.
- Only JFS and JFS2 file systems are supported for all of the SysBack backup types
- The SysBack File or Directory backup type may also be used to backup CD-ROM and NFS file systems
- All backup, restore, list, verify, and query operations must be performed as the root user
- SysBack backups should not be used to backup Tivoli Storage Manager HSM managed file systems. You will need to explicitly specify any HSM managed file system in the SysBack exclude list. For detailed information on SysBack exclude lists, please refer to Chapter 11, “Exclude Lists,” on page 145 of the SysBack Installation and User's Guide.
Note: Using SysBack to back up HSM managed file systems will cause all of the migrated data to be recalled for the backup operation. This could cause lengthy backup times. Also, there may not be enough space in the file system to recall all of the migrated data. Use the TSM Backup-Archive Client to backup HSM managed file systems instead.
- LAN Free backups are not supported
- COMMMethod TCPIP is the only supported Tivoli Storage Manager communication method
- GPFS file systems are not supported by SysBack
Note: The TSM Backup-Archive Client supports the backup of GPFS file systems.
- Veritas (VxFS) file systems are not supported by SysBack
- AFS and DFS file system structures can not be recreated from backups. If the root user has the appropriate AFS or DFS permissions, then SysBack can backup the data.
Note: The TSM Backup-Archive Client may support the backup of AFS and DFS file systems.
- Compression should not be set from within the SysBack backup commands when the backup destination is a Tivoli Storage Manager server. Compression of data is controlled through Tivoli Storage Manager configuration options.
- Files, directories, file systems, or logical volumes that you would like excluded from SysBack backup processing must be defined in the SysBack exclude list. Tivoli Storage Manager exclude processing does not apply to SysBack backup processing. For detailed information on SysBack exclude lists, please refer to Chapter 11, “Exclude Lists,” on page 145 of the SysBack Installation and User's Guide.
The following limitations and exclusions apply to interaction with Tivoli Storage Manager: