This tutorial describes the concepts of business events and provides step-by-step instructions on how to monitor IMS™ business events through IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway from WebSphere® Business Monitor (WBM). This sample is based on Fix Pack 1.
In this sample, we use WBM to monitor any operation or event that occurs to the IMS phonebook database and get a frequency count of the events based on the last name.
An IMS Phonebook application is created to support adding, updating, displaying, and deleting phonebook entries in an IMS database. In this sample, we will use WBM to monitor any operation that occurs to the phonebook entries and get a frequency count of the operations based on the last name.
The resulting Business Space Dashboard in WBM will look like this:
This sample demonstrates the following steps:
- Modify or create an IMS application to insert the business event data and event emission point. An IMSEvent.cpy sample copybook is provided with this sample.
- Create the required XML converter driver and the correlator file from an IMS application copybook by using IBM® Rational® Developer for System z™ Version 7.6 and the SOAP Gateway deployment utility.
- Deploy the generated XML converter driver in IMS Connect; deploy the correlator file in SOAP Gateway, define the connection bundle, and start the callout thread to listen for business events.
- Create a business monitor model by using the WebSphere Business Monitor development toolkit in Rational Application Developer.
- Generate the J2EE project and deploy the model to WBM.
- Create a business space dashboard in WBM to monitor the event.
- Test the monitor model in WBM.
The instructions and the sample files are included in the attached zip file.
Contents in sample ZIP file
|IMSEVNT.cpy||The copybook for the IMS Phonebook application.|
|Files that are generated by Rational Developer for System z
If you do not have Rational Developer for System z Version 7.6, you can skip Step 2 and use these files instead.
|IMSEVNTI.xsd||The XSD file.|
|IMSEVNT.xml||The correlator file.|
|IMSWBMD.cbl||The XML converters file.|
|Sample DFSDDLT0 control statements|
|IMSWBMDT||The sample DFSDDLT0 control statements that you can use with this tutorial to insert business event data to the tpipe. You must configure your environment for DFSDDLT0 and provide the necessary JCL if you want to run it.|
|Sample EAR file|
|PhonebookApplication.ear||Sample EAR file that is generated as a result of Step 4 and Step 5. If you choose to skip those two steps, you can deploy the EAR file to receive the IMS business events.|
|IMSEnterpriseSuite_SOAP_BusEvent.pdf||The step-by-step instructions for the sample.|