Preventive Service Planning
Resource collection of links and information designed to help you plan, test, troubleshoot and implement an effective migration from a previous release of IBM WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager (WCM) to a later release.
Resource collection of links and information designed to help you plan, test, troubleshoot and implement an effective migration from a previous release of WebSphere Portal and Web Content Manager (WCM) to a later release.
In this context, migration refers to the upgrading of an existing installation of the software to a newer release, such as from version 5.1 to version 6.0. Installing a later service release, such as 188.8.131.52 onto an existing 184.108.40.206 installation is termed an Upgrade, and not covered in this document.
|Service and Support Recommendations|
IBM Redbooks Publications:
- IBM WebSphere Portal V6: Best Practices for Migrating from V5.1
This IBM Redpaper provides detailed information about migrating from WebSphere Portal V5.1 to WebSphere Portal V6. This IBM Redpaper introduces the key considerations and the overall decision process before providing step-by-step instructions. It also provides a troubleshooting guide. The IBM Redpaper covers all the key concepts, from stand-alone core portal environments to comprehensive enterprise deployments with clustering, WebSphere Portal components such as Document Manager, Personalization, IBM Web Content Manager, and others.
- IBM WebSphere Portal 6 Self Help Guide:
This IBM Redpaper focuses on considerations for the optimal configuration and use of IBM WebSphere Portal Server. We provide you with the information you need to deploy and manage your WebSphere Portal infrastructure, with the goal of problem avoidance. However, if issues occur, the reader is introduced to the various tools and techniques for problem determination and problem solving, including obtaining and installing fixes, how to contact support, and what type of information you should provide before engagement. This guide is a must have resource for IT architects and administrators throughout the life cycle of a WebSphere Portal environment, from conception and planning to use and maintenance.
Information center topics:
- (V6.0) Migration:
- (V6.0) XML Configuration interface (XMLAccess):
- (V6.1) Migration;
- (V6.1) XML Configuration interface (XML Access);
- (V7.0) Migration:
- (V7.0) XML Configuration interface (XML Access):
Open Mic calls regarding Migration:
- Open Mic replay: WebSphere Portal v5.1 to v6 Migration Open Mic call - 07 May 2008 (#7012487)
- Open Mic replay: WebSphere Portal v5.1 to v6.0 Migration for Developers - 06 March 2008 (#7011968)
- Open Mic replay: WebSphere Portal v5.1 to v6 Migration - 05 February 2008 (#7011718)
Related APARs and interim Fixes:
- PK69311 (WP): This fix enables the support necessary to migrate from version 5.1.x and 6.0x to version 6.1. This fix applies to version 6.1.
- PK69096 (WCM): This fix enables the support necessary to migrate from version 5.1.x and 6.0x to version 6.1, to be used in conjunction with PK69311 above, but only for customers also using WCM. This fix applies to version 6.1.
- PK61755: Issues during pre-upgrade task when doing the remote migration on 6.1 using WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment Version 6.1 Supplements CD
- PK78134:Security flag is incorrect when WebSphere Member Manager (WMM) is migrated to Virtual Member Manager (VMM)
- PQ80152: Migration task fails because of page without a place
- PK39450: MIGRATION OF FAVORITES FROM WP 5.0.X TO WP 6.0 USING XMLACCESS IS NOT SUPPORTED
- PK44603: Null Pointer Exception thrown during migration to WPv6.0
- PK68278: Improve hash code computation for ObjectIDs of migrated resources
- PK48603: CUMULATIVE MIGRATION APAR FOR VERSION 6.0
Technotes and techdocs:
- Release Notes and Technotes regarding Version 6.1
- Interim fixes required for migrating to WebSphere Portal V6.1 (#1304706)
- Rerunning the portal-post-upgrade task fails on initialize-nodetypes (#1314306)
- PDM Migration Tool - to migration from PDM 5.1 or 6.0 to Lotus Quickr Services for WebSphere Portal
- Pre-deployed portlets or application are not found during WebSphere Portal migration V6.1 (#1300236)
- After migration to WebSphere Portal 6.1, attempts to use an unsupported mail protocol may not display the appropriate message (#1307016)
- Out of Memory condition occurs during migration to WebSphere Portal V6.1 (#1299190)
- Running the Migration to an Empty Portal will fail with missing skin/theme error. (#21383211)
- Error: "The JAVA class is not found" when WPmigrate.bat script fails (#21384315)
- While running the portal-post-upgrade in 6.1.x, it fails with DB2 SQL error: SQLCODE: -443 in Migration.log file (#21390570)
- Menu Components not rendering after WCM migration from 5.1.x to 6.0.1.x or 6.1.x (#21382008)
- Collecting Data: WebSphere Portal version 6.0 migration problems (#1246134)
- Collecting Data: Migration for WebSphere Portal 5.0/5.1 (#1199416)
- SizeLimitExceededException thrown during migration with maximumSearchResults in wmm.xml set to default value (#1259963)
- Migration of Portal and issues related to UID changes for the portlets (#1214008)
- Running the export-portal-content command for migration returns error 'Build failed...' (#1267210)
- NullPointer exception when running import migration task (#1258923)
- Known issues with migration to People Finder Portlet v6.0 (#1240823)
- Recommended fixes and updates for WebSphere Portal (#7007603):
A comprehensive list of recommended, generally available (GA) maintenance and fixes for current IBM WebSphere Portal server releases. This page is updated as new information becomes available.
White papers useful in Migration:
- Step-by-step Migration Guide for IBM WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager version 6.1 (#7012697)
- Step-by-Step Migration Guides for IBM WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager Version 6.1 (#7012698)
- Example of WebSphere Portal migration from version 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 (#1293748)
- White paper for Theme and Skin development in Portal 6.0 (#1284974)
- Documentation for using WebSphere Process Server 6.0.2 with WebSphere Portal 6.0.1 (#7009595)
- Setting up and testing a secured two-cell process portal environment
Learn how to install, configure, secure, and test a process portal, in which WebSphere Portal provides the interface for human tasks in business processes that are orchestrated by WebSphere Process Server. This two-part article is for system administrators and IT consultants who are being asked to provide and work with process portals. You learn about possible process portal topologies, and then how to create such an environment, by integrating WebSphere Portal and WebSphere Process Server environments. Finally, you see how to deploy and test an application in that environment.
Portal 7 specific information:
- WebSphere Portal V7.0 Service Maintenance Update required prior to Migration, Performance Tuning or Benchmarking, or Custom Theme Development
- Step-by-step Migration Guide for IBM WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager version 7 (#7021370)
- Must have - WebSphere Application Server - APAR - PM21689 - installed on target server (6.1.x / 7.0.0.x) when doing migration from 6.0.x
- Step-by-step Migration Guide for IBM WebSphere Portal version 7 from 601x (#7024343)
Back to top
IBM Support Assistant Lite for WebSphere Portal tool (# 4008662):
The IBM Support Assistant Lite for WebSphere Portal tool is provided as an aid for troubleshooting problems with WebSphere Portal, focusing on automatic data collection and providing symptom analysis support for specific WebSphere Portal and WCM Problem Determination Scenarios.
IBM Support Assistant ( ISA):
The IBM Support Assistant is a free offering for problem determination with an expanded scope, adding IBM knowledge repository searches, diagnostic tools, educational and troubleshooting links as well as electronic problem submission (ESR), plus access to the automated log collection features provided in IBM Support Assistant Lite for WebSphere Portal.
IBM Software Support Toolbar:
Representatives from each IBM software brand have come together to compile the most sought after brand-specific pages in a Web browser plugin. Even though there are common links between these buttons, custom entries from each Brand truly make this toolbar valuable for your support toolbox.
Back to top
Information centers for WebSphere Portal and WCM:
The most current product documentation for WebSphere Portal, WebSphere Portal Express, WebSphere Portal for z/OS, and Web Content Manager.
The WebSphere Portal Zone on IBM developerWorks:
An excellent place to find White Papers, code samples, and other information relevant to your portal.
Back to top
|Resource collection of links and information designed to help you plan, test, troubleshoot and implement an effective migration from a previous release of WebSphere Portal and WCM to a later release.|
WebSphere Portal User Forum:
The mirror of the ibm.software.websphere.portal-server newsgroup hosted on IBM developerWorks.
IBM Web Content Manager User Forum:
A discussion forum for both the Domino® and Java™ editions of WCM.
WebSphere Portal and Portlet Development Space hosted on IBM developerWorks:
You must log into IBM developerWorks first, then can access this new community resource.
Back to top
|Subscriptions and Notifications|
My Support :
Configure your own content from a variety of choices. Be sure to add products "WebSphere Portal" and "Web Content Manager," and then subscribe to receive periodic emails.
IBM Redbooks Publications:
Receive weekly newsletters about new releases and upcoming publications.
IBM developerWorks newsletter:
Receive frequent updates about new content from the IBM developerWorks team.
WebSphere Portal product support page feed
Support RSS feed for WebSphere Portal Administrators
Web Content Manager support page feed
Software Support Lifecycle RSS feed
IBM WebSphere Portal Catalog - new entries
For information on other RSS feeds for WebSphere, refer to this link:
Back to top
Self-Help Central for WebSphere Portal ( #1283691):
Resource collection of links and information designed to help you maintain and troubleshoot WebSphere® Portal and WCM in your environment.
Recommended fixes and updates for WebSphere Portal (# 7007603):
A comprehensive list of recommended, generally available (GA) maintenance and fixes for current WebSphere Portal server releases. This page is updated as new information becomes available.
Collecting Data: Read first for IBM WebSphere Portal (# 1236371)
Collecting Data documents aid in problem determination and save time collecting diagnostic data useful in isolating and identifying the root cause of most problems you might find in your portal environment. Originally intended as a way to ensure your problem report with IBM Support is resolved quickly, many customers use these as a Self-Help guide and can resolve their own problems by looking in the right place, as guided by these documents.
Detailed System Requirements (# 7007791):
Need to know what levels of the Application Server, Database or other software you need to use with a specific release of WebSphere Portal or WCM? Find out from this list of the minimum system requirements, by version. Also, for more information about System Requirements that exceed the minimum criteria listed above, refer to the WebSphere Portal Support Statement to determine IBM's support position while you plan for your upgrade.
Step-by-Step Cluster Guide for WebSphere Portal v6.0 (# 1254849)
Setting up a production-capable cluster? Check out these documents produced by IBM Support, Also, grab a copy of the IBM Redbooks publication " WebSphere Portal Version 6 Enterprise Scale Deployment Best Practices" - both very valuable resources.
Performance Tuning Guides for versions 5.1 and 6.0:
Provided by the IBM Performance Development team for WebSphere Portal, these guides provide detailed guidance and general recommendations to help you tune your environment to meet your specific needs. Performance tuning is an art form and will require unique settings for your own portal's needs - one size does not fit all! Refer also to the Diagnosing Performance Problems (# 7007059) document (though written for WebSphere Portal version 5.1, much of it applies also to later versions).
Find specific information for your portal:
Use the product support page to your advantage! Use the following URLs to find exactly what you need:
- WebSphere Portal content
- WebSphere Portal Express content
- WebSphere Portal Enable for z/OS content
- WebSphere Portal for i5/OS content
- Advanced Search for WebSphere Portal content
- Advanced Search for Workplace Web Content Manager content
- Search by Component (choose from the list at the bottom of this page)
Back to top
|Enterprise Content Management||Workplace Web Content Management||Migration||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, OS/400, Solaris, Windows||6.0, 5.1.0||Java edition|