Preventive Service Planning
Configuration Information for Oracle StorageTek T10000D
Oracle StorageTek T10000D
Two new recording formats, T10000D and T10000D-C, are available for the ECARTRIDGE device type for use with Oracle StorageTek T2 media and Oracle StorageTek T10000D tape drives on AIX, Linux, HP-UX, Sun, and Windows. The Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive offers higher capacity than the previous generation T10000C tape drive.
Format T10000D is uncompressed, with an estimated capacity of 8 TB. Format T10000D-C is compressed, with an estimated capacity of 15 TB.
1. When defining a device class for a Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive, use
- format=< DRIVE | T10000D | T10000D-C >
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000D .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000D-C .....
T10000D - Specifies that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager writes data that uses the T10000D recording format. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 8 TB when using T10000 T2 standard media.
T10000D-C - Specifies that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager writes data that uses the T10000D recording format with compression. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 15 TB when using T10000 T2 standard media.
2. Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive has a data compression ratio of 2:1
3. Device identification and firmware level used during validation
Validated with TSM 18.104.22.168
- Library ID : STK SL3000 --- Firmware : 4.00
- Drive ID : STK T10000D --- Firmware : 4.07
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T1 standard data cartridge - Read Only
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T1 Volsafe media - Read Only
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 TS Sport data media - Read Only
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T2 standard data cartridge
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T2 Volsafe media
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 TT Sport data media
5. When defining a device class for Oracle StorageTek T10000D Volsafe media, use WORM=YES.
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000D WORM= YES .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000D-C WORM= YES .....
Note: T2 Volsafe media may be T10000C or T10000D format but once it has been used in one format it can't be used for the other.
6. Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive reports drive serial number.
7. To mount a T10000D volume for the T10000D or T10000D-C device class format when using an external media management program, specify STK_T10000D as the device type.
8. Drive cleaning support
- Automatic cleaning via the CLEANFREQuency=ASNEEDED option is supported.
- Extended cleaning is supported.
- Cleaning cartridge CLN###CC is supported.
- Cleaning cartridge CLN###CL is supported.
9. Data Integrity Validation (DIV) or Logical Block Protection (LBP) is supported. See Technote 1568108 for more information.
Oracle StorageTek T10000D Drive Encryption Support
Tivoli Storage Manager Server supports data encryption on Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive via the following methods.
- Key Management Station (KMS) - see Technote 1253907 for more information.
- Application Managed Encryption (AME)
The Application Managed Encryption method is intended to support the Oracle StorageTek T10000D tape drive with built-in hardware encryption capability that conforms to the SCSI T10 encryption standard. The Oracle StorageTek Data Path Key Management (DPKM) encryption option should be enabled on every drive within a single library configuration.
With the Application Managed Encryption method, Tivoli Storage Manager Server manages generates and stores encryption keys in the server database. Data is encrypted during WRITE operations when the encryption key is passed from the server to the drive. Data is decrypted on READ operations.
Warning: When using Application encryption, you must take extra care to secure database backups since the encryption keys used to encrypt and decrypt data are stored in the server database. In order to restore your data, you must have the correct database backup and corresponding encryption keys to access your information. Ensure that you back up the database frequently and safeguard the backups to prevent data loss or theft. Anyone who has access to both the database backup and the encryption keys has access to your data.
Application managed encryption is only supported for storage pool volumes. Other volumes such as backupset tapes, export volumes, and database backups will not be encrypted using the AME method.
Tivoli Storage Manager can turn encryption on or off depending on the DRIVEENCRYPTION value on the device class. Tivoli Storage Manager Server will not display a warning message if the DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter is set to ON for drives that do not support encryption even though no encryption occurs.
Using Drive Encryption
In order to utilize drive encryption, your Tivoli Storage Manager environment should be set up so that all drives in a library support the new encryption format. In addition, all drives within a logical library must use the same method of encryption. Tivoli Storage Manager does not support an environment in which some drives use the Application method and some drives use another method of encryption.
When using encryption-capable drives with the Application method, a new format will be used to write encrypted data to tapes. If data is written to volumes using the new format and if the volumes are then returned to scratch, they will contain labels that are only readable by encryption-enabled drives. To use these scratch volumes in a drive that is not enabled for encryption, either because the hardware is not capable of encryption or because the encryption method is set to OFF, you must relabel them.
Specifying the DRIVEENCRYPTION Parameter
To have Tivoli Storage Manager Server manage encryption, the devclass DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter must be set to ON. This permits the encryption of data for empty storage pool volumes. When the parameter is set to ON, backup operations will fail if the hardware is configured for another encryption method.
To disable encryption on new volumes, the parameter should be set to OFF. If the hardware is configured to encrypt data through a method other than Application encryption, and DRIVEENCRYPTION is set to OFF, backup operations will fail.
The DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter is optional. The default value is ALLOW.
Drive encryption is supported on Oracle StorageTek T10000D drive with the devclass format value of DRIVE, T10000D, or T10000D-C.
See " Supported Devices for AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and Windows" or " Supported Devices for Linux" for minimum supported version levels and platforms for these devices.
More information regarding device configuration is available in the Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator's Guide.