Sun StorageTek T9840D Drive Configuration Information for IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Server
Preventive Service Planning
Configuration Information for Sun StorageTek T9840D
Sun StorageTek T9840D
Two new recording formats, T9840D and T9840D-C, are available for the ECARTRIDGE device type for use with Sun StorageTek T9840D tape drives and Sun StorageTek 9840 media. The Sun StorageTek T9840D drive offers higher capacity than the previous generation 9840 and T9840C tape drives.
Format T9840D is uncompressed, with an estimated capacity of 75 GB. Format T9840D-C is compressed, with an estimated capacity of 150 GB.
1. When defining a device class for a Sun StorageTek T9840D drive, use
o format=< DRIVE | T9840D | T9840D-C >
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T9840D .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T9840D-C .....
T9840D - Specifies that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager writes data that uses the T9840D recording format. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 75 GB when using 9840 standard media.
T9840D-C - Specifies that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager writes data that uses the T9840D recording format with compression. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 150 GB when using 9840 standard media.
2. Sun StorageTek T9840D drive has a data compression ratio of 2:1
3. Device identification and firmware levels used during validation
Validated with TSM 5.5.1
Drive ID : STK T9840D --- Firmware : 1.42
Validated with TSM 5.4.5
Drive ID : STK T9840D --- Firmware : 3.17
4. Supported media
- Sun StorageTek 9840 data cartridge
- Sun StorageTek 9840 Volsafe media
5. When defining a device class for Sun StorageTek 9840 Volsafe media, use WORM=YES.
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T9840D WORM= YES .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T9840D-C WORM= YES .....
6. Sun StorageTek T9840D drive reports drive serial number.
7. To mount a 9840 volume for the T9840D or T9840D-C device class format when using an external media management program, specify STK_T9840D as the device type.
8. Automatic cleaning via the CLEANFREQuency=ASNEEDED option is supported.
9. Sun StorageTek T9840D drive is also supported on MVS.
See " Supported Devices for AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and Windows" or " Supported Devices for Linux" for minimum supported version levels and platforms for these devices.
More information regarding device configuration is available in the Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator's Guide, which can be found in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager information center.
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager
Software version: All Supported Versions
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows, z/OS
Reference #: 1304451
Modified date: 22 May 2014
Translate this page: