Oracle StorageTek T10000B Drive Configuration Information for IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Server
Preventive Service Planning
Configuration Information for Oracle StorageTek T10000B
Oracle StorageTek T10000B
Two new recording formats, T10000B and T10000B-C, are available for the ECARTRIDGE device type for use with Oracle StorageTek T10000 media and Oracle StorageTek T10000B tape drives on AIX, Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, and Windows. The Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive offers higher capacity than the previous generation T10000A tape drive.
Format T10000B is uncompressed, with an estimated capacity of 1 TB. Format T10000B-C is compressed, with an estimated capacity of 2TB.
1. When defining a device class for an Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive, use
- format=< DRIVE | T10000B | T10000B-C >
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000B .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000B-C .....
T10000B-C - Specifies that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager writes data that uses the T10000B recording format with compression. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 2 TB when using T10000 standard media.
2. Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive has a data compression ratio of 2:1
3. Device identification and firmware level used during validation
(validated with TSM 6.1.4 and 6.2.0)
Drive ID : STK T10000B --- Firmware : 1.37
Drive ID : STK T10000B --- Firmware : 1.44
(validated with TSM 7.1.0)
- Library ID : STK SL3000 --- Firmware : 4.00
- Drive ID : STK T10000B --- Firmware : 1.48
4. Supported media
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T1 standard data cartridge
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 T1 Volsafe media
- Oracle StorageTek T10000 TS Sport data media
5. When defining a device class for Oracle StorageTek T10000 Volsafe media, use WORM=YES.
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000B WORM= YES .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType= ECARTridge FORMAT= T10000B-C WORM= YES .....
6. Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive reports drive serial number.
7. To mount a T10000 volume for the T10000B or T10000B-C device class format when using an external media management program, specify STK_T10000B as the device type.
8. Drive cleaning support
- Automatic cleaning via the CLEANFREQuency=ASNEEDED option is supported.
- Extended cleaning is supported.
- Cleaning cartridge CLN###CC is supported with TSM 5.5.6, 6.2.4, 6.3.1 and later.
- Cleaning cartridge CLN###CL is supported with TSM 6.2.4, 6.3.1 and later.
9. Oracle StorageTek T10000B is currently not supported on MVS.
Oracle StorageTek T10000B Drive Encryption Support
Tivoli Storage Manager Server supports data encryption on Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive via the following methods.
- Key Management Station (KMS) - see Technote 1253907 for more information.
- Application Managed Encryption (AME)
The Application Managed Encryption method introduced with Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 6.1.4 and 6.2.0 is intended to support the Oracle StorageTek T10000B tape drive with built-in hardware encryption capability that conforms to the SCSI T10 encryption standard. The Oracle StorageTek Data Path Key Management (DPKM) encryption option should be enabled on every drive within a single library configuration.
With the Application Managed Encryption method, Tivoli Storage Manager Server manages generates and stores encryption keys in the server database. Data is encrypted during WRITE operations when the encryption key is passed from the server to the drive. Data is decrypted on READ operations.
Warning: When using Application encryption, you must take extra care to secure database backups since the encryption keys used to encrypt and decrypt data are stored in the server database. In order to restore your data, you must have the correct database backup and corresponding encryption keys to access your information. Ensure that you back up the database frequently and safeguard the backups to prevent data loss or theft. Anyone who has access to both the database backup and the encryption keys has access to your data.
Application managed encryption is only supported for storage pool volumes. Other volumes such as backupset tapes, export volumes, and database backups will not be encrypted using the AME method.
Tivoli Storage Manager can turn encryption on or off depending on the DRIVEENCRYPTION value on the device class. Tivoli Storage Manager Server will not display a warning message if the DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter is set to ON for drives that do not support encryption even though no encryption occurs.
Using Drive Encryption
In order to utilize drive encryption, your Tivoli Storage Manager environment should be set up so that all drives in a library support the new encryption format. In addition, all drives within a logical library must use the same method of encryption. Tivoli Storage Manager does not support an environment in which some drives use the Application method and some drives use another method of encryption.
When using encryption-capable drives with the Application method, a new format will be used to write encrypted data to tapes. If data is written to volumes using the new format and if the volumes are then returned to scratch, they will contain labels that are only readable by encryption-enabled drives. To use these scratch volumes in a drive that is not enabled for encryption, either because the hardware is not capable of encryption or because the encryption method is set to OFF, you must relabel them.
Specifying the DRIVEENCRYPTION Parameter
To have Tivoli Storage Manager Server manage encryption, the devclass DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter must be set to ON. This permits the encryption of data for empty storage pool volumes. When the parameter is set to ON, backup operations will fail if the hardware is configured for another encryption method.
To disable encryption on new volumes, the parameter should be set to OFF. If the hardware is configured to encrypt data through a method other than Application encryption, and DRIVEENCRYPTION is set to OFF, backup operations will fail.
The DRIVEENCRYPTION parameter is optional. The default value is ALLOW.
Drive encryption is supported on Oracle StorageTek T1000B drive with the devclass format value of DRIVE, T10000B, or T10000B-C.
- Technote 1474466 - Tivoli Storage Manager server crashes when backing up to tape using Oracle StorageTek T10000B drive with Application Managed Encryption enabled
See " Supported Devices for AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and Windows" or " Supported Devices for Linux" for minimum supported version levels and platforms for these devices.
More information regarding removable media is available in the Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator's Guide, which can be found in Tivoli Storage Manager Information Centers.
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager
Software version: All Supported Versions
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1292596
Modified date: 12 August 2010
Translate this page: