Sun StorageTek T10000A Drive Encryption Support in Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4 and later, Sun StorageTek T10000B Drive Encryption Support in Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4.3, 5.5.1 and later, Sun StorageTek Ultrium 1840 Drive Enc
Preventive Service Planning
Sun StorageTek T10000A drive encryption support in IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4 and later, Sun StorageTek T10000B drive encryption support in Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4.3, 5.5.1 and later, Sun StorageTek Ultrium 1840 drive encryption support in Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4.4, 5.5.2 and later
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Server supports the encryption feature for Sun StorageTek T10000A, Sun StorageTek T10000B, and Sun StorageTek Ultrium 1840 tape drives. Sun has chosen the data at rest (device-based) encryption solution in which encryption occurs when data is stored on a device. The encryption and key management is managed by hardware and there is no special Tivoli Storage Manager software configuration required to enable encryption on the drive.
The Sun data at rest (device-based) encryption consists of the following hardware components.
- Key Management Station (KMS) - Dedicated complete appliance
- Encryption capable storage device - Sun StorageTek T10000A, Sun StorageTek T10000B(supported with 5.4.3 & 5.5.1 and later ), or Sun StorageTek Ultrium 1840 ( supported with 5.4.4 & 5.5.2 and later )
- Tokens - Small, handheld, microprocessor-based, intelligent device used for transmitting keys
- Token Bay - To provide power for the tokens and ethernet connectivity to the KMS or tape drives
- Ethernet - Connectivity between KMS and Token Bay, or Token Bay and tape drives
- Ethernet hub or switch - Connectivity between the tokens and the tape drive
Sun hardware components are configured to support the encryption function. To use encryption, set up KMS and Token Bay first, and then follow the step-by-step configuration from Crypto Key Management Station Configuration and Startup Guide rev A provided by Sun. Once setup is successful, a sample backup and restore should be performed with encryption turned on the Sun StorageTek Cryptro-active T10000A ,T10000B or Sun StorageTek LTO-4 drive with encryption to verify that the function is operating properly.
For assistance or questions on the implementation of Sun's device-based encryption solution, contact Sun StorageTek Encryption Consulting Services. More information is available at: http://www.sun.com/service/encryption/index.jsp
- Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4 and later supports the Sun StorageTek Encryption Key Management Station Version 1.0 . Follow this link for more details about Sun StorageTek Key Management Station: https://www.sun.com/storagetek/tape_storage/tape_drives/crypto_keyms/index.xml
- Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4.3, 5.5.1 and later is required for Sun StorageTek T10000B.
- Tivoli Storage Manager Server version 5.4.4, 5.5.2 and later is required for Sun StorageTek Ultrium 1840 drives with Sun StorageTek Encryption Key Management Station version 2.0. When KMS is used for managing drive encryption, the DRIVEEncryption parameter for the device class (DEVCLASS) must be ALLOW.
- Tivoli Storage Manager Server does not support mixed drive encryption configurations. Do not mix encryption-enabled drives with drives that are not encryption capable in the same library.
- If there are any problems during backup or restore operation, first check if the problem is due to hardware failure or software failure.
- Refer to the Sun Hardware Setup Guide information on encryption solutions for setting up correct configurations. Any errors related to encryption should be reported to Sun hardware support.
- Contact Sun if you receive an error with KEY/ASC/ASCQ value 0x03/0x26/0x05, 0x04/0x26/0x81, or 0x07/0x30/0x05 during any Tivoli Storage Manager operation.
- See the Sun StorageTek Crypto Key Management Station support Web site at: http://www.sun.com/storagetek/tape_storage/tape_drives/crypto_keyms/support.xml
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager
Software version: 5.3.3
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Reference #: 1253907
Modified date: 19 January 2007