Preventive Service Planning
Configuration Information for Exabyte VXA-2 and IBM VXA-2 Tape Drives (P/N 59P6746, 19P4897, 19P5234)
IBM VXA-2 80/160GB (P/N 59P6746)
IBM 7206 Model VX2 (P/N 19P4897 and 19P5234)
1. When defining a device class for VXA-2 drives, use
- format=<DRIVE | VXA2 | VXA2C>
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType=8MM FORMAT=VXA2 .....
DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType=8MM FORMAT=VXA2C .....
VXA2 - Specifies that TSM writes data that uses the VXA2 recording format. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 80 GB when using VXA-2 V23 data cartridges.
VXA2C - Specifies that TSM writes data that uses the VXA2 recording format with compression. This format results in a cartridge capacity of 160 GB when using VXA-2 V23 data cartridges.
2. 80 GB native capacity and approximately 160 GB with 2:1 compression
3. Device Identifications and firmware levels used during our validation process
Drive ID : EXABYTE VXA-2
Firmware : 1001 (validated with TSM 5.2.0)
Firmware : 2120 (validated with TSM 5.4.0)
Drive ID : IBM VXA-2
Firmware : 1005
Firmware : 2107 (P/N 19P4897)
4. Supported media
- o VXA V6 (62m) data cartridge with a native capacity of 20GB
- o VXA V10 (107m) data cartridge with a native capacity of 40GB
- o VXA V17 (170m) data cartridge with a native capacity of 59GB
- o VXA V23 (230m) data cartridge with a native capacity of 80GB
5. Exabyte VXA-2 and IBM VXA-2 drives report drive serial numbers.
6. Automatic cleaning via the CLEANFREQuency=ASNEEDED option is supported with TSM version 5.4.0 and later.
IC50353 DRIVE CLEANING SUPPORT IN TSM SERVER BASED ON REQUEST SENSE DATA
Library and drive may require different minimum Tivoli Storage Manager levels. Therefore, ensure that both library and drive hardware are supported. See " Supported Devices for AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and Windows" or " Supported Devices for Linux" for minimum supported version levels and platforms for these devices.
For IBM VXA-2 drives, also check with IBM Support on supported OS platforms and versions.
More information regarding device configuration is available in the Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator's Guide, which can be found in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager information center.