After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) on client machines, users experience one or more of the following issues connecting to a Sametime server:
- Users attempting to attend meetings receive one or more of the following:
- Error indicating that the meeting is not starting and to contact the system administrator.
- IE Security Warning pop-up prompting the user to "Install" or "Don't Install" the Sametime Meeting Room client.
- IE Security Warning in the Title Bar with the following message: "This site might require the following Active X control: "Sametime JNI Meeting Install". Click here to Install"
- Users attempting to launch the Sametime® Connect client receive a "Connecting..." message along with a "Server not available" message.
- Users are unable to create an instant meeting via the Sametime Connect client. The following error may be encountered: "The meeting could not be launched due to a problem with the browser [error code: -11]."
- Users are unable to create an instant meeting via the Sametime Connect client. The following may be encountered: No errors. The browser may not attempt to load.
- Using the Connect client a user clicks Options -> Preferences -> Audio/Video -> Test My Audio/Video Tools button and nothing happens; no Test Meeting window launches.
- Using the Connect client a user clicks Help -> Sametime on the web and nothing happens; no browser page is launched directing the user to the Lotus Sametime support page.
- Users click the "Test meeting" link from the stcenter.nsf page and no Test Meeting window is launched.
- Users are unable to launch instant meetings from the Lotus Notes Client.
Resolving the problem
In order for Sametime to work properly on a Windows XP SP2 client, the following changes must be made:
|Modify firewall settings|
You may also temporarily disable the firewall to troubleshoot if it is causing an issue with your Sametime connection. In order to disable the Windows Firewall, click on Start -> Control Panel -> Security Center. In the Windows Security Center, locate the section titled "Manage Security settings for:" and click on the "Windows Firewall" icon in this section. On the General tab, select "Off".
|Disable or modify pop-up blocker|
It is possible to still attend a Sametime meeting with the pop-up blocker enabled by adding the Sametime site to a list of websites where pop-ups are allowed. To do this, open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Pop-up Blocker -> Pop-up Blocker Settings... and add the Sametime server's fully-qualified host name to the "Address of Web site to allow:" field and click "Add". For example, you will need to add "sametime.mycompany.com" to the allowed sites if that is the URL end-users will use to access Sametime via the web.
To disable the Windows pop-up blocker completely, open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Pop-up Blocker and select "Turn Off Pop-up Blocker."
Other pop-up blockers unrelated to Service Pack 2 can also prevent the window from opening. These pop-up blockers include (but are not limited to) the Yahoo, Google, AIM, and MSN toolbars, in addition to Pop-up Stopper from Panicware and ZoneAlarm Pro from Zone Labs. You will need to contact the third-party vendor for help in adding the Sametime website hostname to the list of sites where pop-ups are allowed, or disabling the pop-up blocker in these applications.
|Accept all security warnings|
Both options must be selected.
|New Active Content feature in IE 6.0.2900 must be enabled|
|Enabling Active Content|
|Active Content issues in Sametime 6.5.1 and earlier releases|
- Attending or scheduling a meeting from the Connect client user interface
- Adding a meeting tool to an existing chat
- Joining an instant meeting upon receiving a meeting invitation from another user
- Launching a link to a URL from a chat window
This issue has been fixed in Sametime 6.5.1 FP1 and Sametime 7.0. Please contact IBM Technical Support to request a test fix (hotfix) for 3.1.
Note about FP1: After you download and unzip the Sametime 6.5.1 FP1, a new version of the Sametime Connect for the desktop client is available in the Client directory. This version of the Sametime Connect client is provided to fix issues that occur only when the Sametime Connect client operates on the Windows XP SP2 operating system. Only organizations that run Windows XP SP2 on client desktops should deploy the 6.5.1 FP1 version of Sametime Connect for the desktop. The Sametime Connect client provided with Sametime 6.5.1 does not support instant meetings when running on Windows XP SP2.
|Active Content and Sametime 7.0|
|Active Directory Group policies|
Configuration of the Policy:
Open the Group Policy console by clicking the Windows Start button, then clicking Run. In the Open field, type the following: gpedit.msc
- Computer Configuration
- Administrative Templates
- Windows Components
- Internet Explorer
- Security Features
- Local Machine Zone Lockdown Security
Change the "Internet Explorer Processes" and "All Processes" settings from "Not configured" to "Disabled".
|Enhanced security in Windows XP SP2|
|Notes 7.0.1 client|
For Sametime Meeting and Instant Meeting problems not related to Windows XP SP2, refer to these technotes:
"Unable to launch or attend a Sametime Instant Meeting: Error Code -11" (#1096064 )
"How do Sametime instant meetings work? " (# 1113469 )
"Sametime reports 'Old Java version' error when trying to attend a meeting " (# 1167527 )