Domino 8.5x for i: Program Conversion
Learn about the implications of program conversion when installing Lotus Domino 8.5x for i on IBM i 5.4, i 6.1 and i 7.1.
Read the following information carefully and plan for additional time required to convert Domino programs during the installation or upgrade process.
Plan for additional time during the install of Domino 8.5x on i 5.4. Regardless of the install method (setup.exe, LODRUN, RSTLICPGM), program conversion will occur during the installation process and cannot be deferred as with prior releases of Domino (e.g. 8.0.1, 7.0.3). If using the RSTLICPGM commands, the value specified for the RSTLICPGM FRCOBJCVN keyword - *SYSVAL, *YES, *NO - does not impact program conversion; it will always occur during the installation of Domino on i 5.4. The time required for program conversion, in addition to the product installation, can be from 10 minutes or up to 2-3 hours or longer depending on the system's performance characteristics and concurrent system activity.
Be sure that you have met all of the prerequisites for installation as described in the related technotes:
- Domino 8.5 for i - Hardware Requirements
- Domino 8.5 for i - Software Requirements
- Domino for i (i5/OS): What system fixes are required?
- Domino 8.5 for i (i5/OS): Checklist for upgrading
- Domino 8.5 for i: Installation and upgrade
Tip: If you are planning to install Domino 8.5x on multiple IBM i 5.4 servers (stand-alone systems or logical partitions) you can use the following method to eliminate program conversion on subsequent Domino installs.
- Install Domino 8.5x on the first IBM i 5.4 server. Program conversion will occur during the installation process.
- Save the converted Domino 8.5x product (SAVLICPGM command). You can save to physical media or save files.
- Install Domino 8.5x using the media or save files created in the previous step on the remaining IBM i 5.4 servers (stand-alone system or logical partition). Program conversion is not required on the subsequent installations. Specify RSTLICPGM with FRCOBJCVN(*NO) to ensure that program conversion does not occur unnecessarily.
NOTE: Domino 8.5.1 is the minimum release supported on IBM i 7.1.
Installing Domino 8.5x on i 6.1 or i 7.1 using distribution media does not require program conversion. If you are using the RSTLICPGM command to install, specify FRCOBJCVN(*NO); avoid using FRCOBJCVN(*YES *ALL) as this will cause program conversion to occur unnecessarily.
Program conversion of Domino 8.5x on i 6.1 or i 7.1 will occur or need to be initiated by the user in the following cases:
- When upgrading from i 5.4 with Domino 8.5x already installed to i 6.1 or i 7.1.
- When installing Domino 8.5x from media created as a result of SAVLICPGM on i 5.4.
In each of these cases, program conversion has already occurred on i 5.4, and is required again after the Domino product install on i 6.1 or i 7.1. Program conversion will occur upon "first-touch" of the Domino product (i.e. STRDOMSVR, CFGDOMSVR, et.al.). It is recommended that you avoid using the Domino commands that would cause program conversion to occur on "first-touch" and instead use the STROBJCVN command to convert the program library, as follows:
SBMJOB CMD(STROBJCVN OPTION(*CONVERT) LIB(QDOMINO850)) for Domino 8.5.0
SBMJOB CMD(STROBJCVN OPTION(*CONVERT) LIB(QDOMINO851)) for Domino 8.5.1
SBMJOB CMD(STROBJCVN OPTION(*CONVERT) LIB(QDOMINO852)) for Domino 8.5.2
SBMJOB CMD(STROBJCVN OPTION(*CONVERT) LIB(QDOMINO853)) for Domino 8.5.3
- If you install Domino 8.5x on i 6.1 or i 7.1 using the RSTLICPGM command and specify FRCOBJCVN(*YES *ALL), this will cause program conversion to occur unnecessarily. Specify FRCOBJCVN(*NO) when installing Domino 8.5x on i 6.1 or i 7.1 using the RSTLICPGM command, or use the Installation GUI (setup.exe).
Domino 8.5 for i: Getting started
Support for Lotus Domino and related products on i 6.1
i5/OS V6R1 Installing Lotus Domino & related products
i5/OS V6R1 Upgrade roadmap for Domino & related product
Domino 8.5 for i: Installation and upgrade
Original publication date
More support for:
Software version: 8.5, 8.5.1, 8.5.2, 8.5.3
Operating system(s): IBM i
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 7013152
Modified date: 03 October 2009
Translate this page: